This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Charge Stratification in a 4-Valve SI Engine Through Injection Into One Intake Port with Induced Axial Swirl Within the Cylinder
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An arrangement of port - injected, stratified-charge, 4 - valve SI engine is proposed, in which fuel is injected in a thin column from an injector which is angled so that the fuel is deflected by one of the inlet valves onto the combustion chamber surface, at a position close to the central spark plug. The injection takes place towards the end of the induction stroke, and the injector is mounted to the side of one of the intake ports. The second intake port is deactivated at part load to establish an axial swirling motion to stabilise the fuel evaporating from the warm combustion chamber surface.
Testing has been performed on a single - cylinder research engine to assess the extent of the stratification by measuring pre - flame hydrocarbon concentrations at various positions around the combustion chamber. Further testing using high - speed cine photography applied to the research engine has allowed a study to be made of the trajectory of liquid fuel within the combustion chamber with the stratified charge arrangement.
CitationQueenan, B., Nightingale, C., and Bennett, J., "Charge Stratification in a 4-Valve SI Engine Through Injection Into One Intake Port with Induced Axial Swirl Within the Cylinder," SAE Technical Paper 972875, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972875.
- Shin Y, Cheng W K, Heywood J B, (1994) “Liquid Gasoline Behavior in the Engine Cylinder of a SI Engine”, SAE paper 941872.
- Eckbreth, A C, (1996) “Laser Diagnostics for Combustion Temperature and Species”, 2nd. edition, Gordon and Beach Publishers.
- Galliot F, Cheng W K, Cheng C O, Szetenderowicz M, Heywood J B, Collings N, (1990), “In - Cylinder Measurements of Residual Gas Concentrations in a SI Engine”, SAE paper 900485
- Iwamoto, Y, Noma K, Yamauchi T, Nakayama O, (1997) “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine”, SAE paper 970541.
- Inoue T, Matsushita S, Nakanishi K, Okano H, (1993) “Toyota Lean Burn System - The Third Generation System”, SAE paper 930873.
- Kume T, Iwamoto Y, Iida K, Murakani M, Akishino K, Ando H, (1996), “Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engines”, SAE paper 960600.
- Ando H, (1996) “Combustion Control Technologies for Gasoline Engines” Institution of Mechanical Engineers Seminar on Lean Burn Combustion Engines, 3-4 December 1996, Publication No. 1996-20, London.
- “Toyota Develops New D-4 Direct Injection Gasoline Engine”,, Asia - Pacific Automotive Report, pp 32 - 34, 5 September 1996.
- Quadar, A A, (1982), “The Axially-Stratified-Charge Engine”, SAE paper 820131.
- Kiyota Y, Akishino K, Ando H, (1992), “Concept of Lean Combustion by Barrel-Stratification”, SAE paper 920678.
- Kuwahara K, Watanabe T, Takemura J, Omori S, Kume T, Ando H, (1994), “Optimization of In-Cylinder Fiow and Mixing for a Center-Spark Four-Valve Engine Employing the Concept of Barrel-Stratification”, SAE paper 940986.
- Jackson N S, Stokes J, Lake T H, Sapsford S M, Heikal M, Denbratt I, (1996), “Understanding the CCVS Stratified EGR Combustion System”, SAE paper 960837.
- Matsushita S, Inoue T, Nakanishi K, Kato K, Kobayashi N, (1985), “Development of Toyota Lean Combustion System”, SAE paper 850044.
- Horie K, Nishizawa K, Ogawa T, Akazaki S, Miura K, (1992), “The Development of a High Fuel Economy and High Performance Four-Valve Lean Burn Engine”, SAE paper 920455.
- Hardalupas Y, Taylor AMKP, Whitelaw J H, Ishii K, Miyano H, Urata Y, (1995), “Influence of Injection Timing on In-Cylinder Fuel Distribution in a Honda VTEC-E Engine”, SAE paper 950507.
- Queenan K B, Nightingale CJE, Bennett J, (1996), “The Design and Testing of an Arrangement to Achieve Stratified Charge through Port Injection”, Institution of Mechanical Engineers Seminar on Lean Burn Engines, 3 - 4 December 1996, London, S433/002/1996