This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Model Study of How Tire Construction and Materials Affect Vibration-Radiated Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A simple mathematical model was developed and experimentally validated to evaluate how the materials and construction of an automobile tire affect its vibration-radiated noise performance. The mathematical model uses Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) with modal joint acceptance formulations for wavespeed and radiation efficiency of orthotropically-stiffened and pressurized cylindrical shells. Experimental validation of the model included wavenumber decomposition to determine the dispersion characteristics of an inflated, non-rolling tire in the laboratory. The model is used to conduct a preliminary study into how the various tire constituent materials and construction parameters influence the vibration-radiated noise performance.
CitationBremner, P., Huff, J., and Bolton, J., "A Model Study of How Tire Construction and Materials Affect Vibration-Radiated Noise," SAE Technical Paper 972049, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972049.
- Lyon, R.H. and DeJong, R. “Theory and Applications of Statistical Energy Analysis”, 2nd Edition. Butterworth-Heinemann, 1995
- Richards, M.G. “Automotive Tire Noise - A Comprehensive Study” Sound and Vibration, May 1974
- Jennewein, M. and Bergmann, M. “Investigations concerning tyre/road noise sources and possibilities of noise reduction” Vehicle Noise and Vibration, C150/84 Institute of Mechanical Engineers, London 1984
- Heckl, M. “Tyre Noise Generation”, Wear, 113, 1986
- Saigal, S. et.al. “Free Vibrations of a Tire as a Toroidal Membrane”, Jnl. Sound and Vibration, 107(1), 1986
- Kropp, W. “Structure-borne Sound on a Smooth Tyre”, Applied Acoustics, 26, 1989
- Mikulas, M. and McElman, “On Free Vibrations of Eccentrically Stiffened Cylindrical Shells and Flat Plates”, NASA TN D-3010, 1965.
- Rennison, D.C.. et.al. “Interior Noise Control Prediction Study for High-Speed Propeller-Driven Aircraft”, NASA Contractor Report, CR 159200, 1979
- Bremner, P.G. “Vibro-Acoustics of Ribbed Structures - a Compact Modal Formulation for SEA Models”, Proc. Noisecon 94, Florida, 1994
- Remington, P. et.al. “Control of Wheel-Rail Noise and Vibration”, US DOT Report DOT-TSC-UMTA-82-57,1983
- Bolton, J.S., Kim Y.K and Kang Y.J. Private communication with Ray W. Herrick Labs., Purdue University, November 1996.
- Lee, J.L. and Ni, A.E. “Structure-Borne Tire Noise Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) Model”, Proc. Tire Soc. Ann. Meeting & Conf., March 1996.
- Jones, R.M. “Mechanics of Composite Materials” McGraw Hill Book Co., 1975
- “AutoSEA Theory and Quality Assurance Manual”, Vibro-Acoustic Sciences Doc. No. ASEA-100, v1.5, November 1996.