This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Noise and Vibration Technology for the Perkins V6 HSDI Demonstration Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Perkins Technology has developed the technology for a Euro III compliant High Speed Direct Injection (HSDI) diesel engine. A prototype engine was built both to demonstrate this technology and the production feasibility for application to the executive car market where NVH performance was seen as the critical driver.
This paper expands upon the approach used for the NVH aspects of the design, analysis and verification of the engine and its installation in a typical executive car. Results for both the powertrain and the vehicle installation are presented showing class leading NVH performance.
CitationSouthall, R. and Trimm, M., "Noise and Vibration Technology for the Perkins V6 HSDI Demonstration Engine," SAE Technical Paper 972044, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972044.
- Freudenschuss O. “A New High Speed Light Duty Diesel Engine” SAE 881209
- Brandl F. K. Wunsche P. Gschweiti E. “Design Strategies for Low Noise Engine Concepts.” SAE 911670
- Vorwerk C. Busch G. Kaiser H-J. Wilheim M. “Influence of Bottom End Design on Noise and Vibration Behaviour of 4-Cylinder In-Line Gasoline Engines.” SAE 931315
- Coulson J. Southall R. “Diesel Engine Noise - Basic Studies Lead to Practical Reductions.” SAE 760550
- Martin I. T. Law B. “Prediction of Flywheel and Crankshaft Dynamics.” Proc. IMechE. C382/046 487 498
- Pettitt R. A. Towch B. W. “Noise Reduction of A Four Litre Direct Injection Diesel Engine.” IMechE C22/88 1988
- Knowland C. G. “Predictive Optimization of Piston and Ring Stability.” SAE 960873
- Reveille J-M. “The Renault Safrane's Design for Silence.” IMechE C462/44/157 Nov 1993