This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vold-Kalman Order Tracking: New Methods for Vehicle Sound Quality and Drive-Train NVH Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of Kalman filter methods for high-performance order tracking of noise and vibration signals was introduced in 1993. Based on experience with that original formulation, further work has produced significant enhancements which greatly extend the ability of these methods to deal with several practical issues of concern in vehicle testing. This paper reports on advances in the areas of:
- RPM estimation accuracy, even for fast-changing events such as gear shifts;
- Higher order Kalman filters, with improved shapes for extracting modulated orders;
- Decoupling of close and even crossing orders by use of multiple RPM references;
- Significant speed improvement over the original algorithm.
Besides obtaining the magnitude and phase of selected orders as a function of time or RPM, the harmonic content may be extracted as time-histories, with no phase or leakage distortion. Because they are phase coherent with the original waveforms, these time histories are useful for the editing and synthesis of non-stationary order components in sound quality applications. The new algorithms have been integrated into a commercial sound quality system, which produced the vehicle test results presented here.
|Technical Paper||Theoretical Foundations for High Performance Order Tracking with the Vold-Kalman Tracking Filter|
|Technical Paper||High Resolution Order Tracking at Extreme Slew Rates, Using Kalman Tracking Filters|
CitationVold, H. and Deel, J., "Vold-Kalman Order Tracking: New Methods for Vehicle Sound Quality and Drive-Train NVH Applications," SAE Technical Paper 972033, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972033.
- Vold, H. Leuridan, J. Order Tracking at Extreme Slew Rates, Using Kalman Tracking Filters SAE Paper Number 931288 1993
- Vold, H. Mains, M. Blough, J. The Mathematical Background of the Vold-Kalman Harmonic Tracking Filter SAE Paper Number 97NV164 1997
- Steyer, G. May 1995