This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spectrogram Analysis of Accelerometer-Based Spark Knock Detection Waveforms
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Spark knock pressure oscillations can be detected by a cylinder pressure transducer or by an accelerometer mounted on the engine block. Accelerometer-based detection is lower cost but is affected by extraneous mechanical vibrations and the frequency response of the engine block and accelerometer. The knock oscillation frequency changes during the expansion stroke because the chamber geometry is changing due to the piston motion and the burned gases are cooling. Spectrogram analysis shows the time-dependent frequency content of the pressure and acceleration signals, revealing characteristic signatures of knock and mechanical vibrations. Illustrative spectrograms are presented which yield physical insight into accelerometer-based knock detection.
|Technical Paper||Effect of Knock on Time-Resolved Engine Heat Transfer|
|Technical Paper||Comparison of Cylinder Pressure Based Knock Detection Methods|
|Technical Paper||An Universally Applicable Thermodynamic Method for T.D.C. Determination|
CitationScholl, D., Barash, T., Russ, S., and Stockhausen, W., "Spectrogram Analysis of Accelerometer-Based Spark Knock Detection Waveforms," SAE Technical Paper 972020, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972020.
- Hickling, R. Feldmaier, D.A. Chen, F.H.K. Morel, J.S. “Cavity Resonances in Engine Combustion Chambers and Some Applications” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 73 4 1170 1178 1983
- Puzinauskas, P. V. “Examination of the Methods Used to Characterize Engine Knock” SAE Paper 920808 1992
- Forbes, J.W. Carlstrom, K.R. Graessley, W.J. “Engine Knock Control Via Optimization of Sensor Location” SAE Paper 951237 1995
- Hirako, O. Murakami, N. Akishino, K. “Influence of Valve Noise on Knock Detection in Spark Ignition Engines” SAE Paper 880084 1988
- Schmillen, K.P. Rechs, M. “Different Methods of Knock Detection and Knock Control” SAE Paper 910858 1991
- Cohen, L. “Time-Frequency Analysis” Prentice Hall 0-13-594532-1 Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1995
- Oppenheim, A. Schafer, R. “Discrete-Time Signal Processing” Prentice Hall 0-13-216292-X Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1989
- Koenig, D. “Application of Time-Frequency Analysis for Optimum Non-Equidistant Sampling of Automotive Signals Captured at Knock” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing V 2746 Atlanta May 7-9 1996
- Samimy, B. Rizzoni, G. “Engine Knock Analysis and Detection Using Time-Frequency Analysis” SAE Paper 960618 1996
- Kaneyasu, M. Kurihara, N. Katogi, K. Tokuda, H. “Engine Knock Detection Using Multi-Spectrum Method” SAE Paper 920702 1992