This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Cranktrain Design on Powertrain NVH
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the last few years the requirement to optimize powertrain noise and vibration has increased significantly. This was caused by the demand to fulfill the vehicle's exterior noise legislative limits in Europe, and by increased customer awareness for high ride comfort. Much effort concentrated on the engine and the powertrain as prime sources of noise and vibration in a vehicle.
The cranktrain with its moving components is a significant source of noise and vibration excitation within the engine. This paper describes results of investigations to evaluate various design alternatives in respect to NVH. The influences of crankshaft material, of balancing rate and of secondary shaking forces are discussed, with the aim to evaluate these various design options.
CitationQuerengaesser, J., Meyer, J., Schaefer, E., and Wolschendorf, J., "The Effect of Cranktrain Design on Powertrain NVH," SAE Technical Paper 971994, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971994.
- Vorwerk C. Busch G. Kaiser H.-J. Wilhelm M. Influence of bottom end design on noise and vibration behavior of 4-cylinder in-line gasoline engines SAE 931315
- Busch G. Maurell R. Meyer J. Vorwerk C. Investigations on influence of engine block design features on noise and vibration SAE 911071
- Willenbockel O. Indra F. 1989
- Basshuysen R. Stock D. Bauder R. 1989
- Teramoto T. Deguchi H. Shintani H. Improvement in Vehicle Interior Sound Quality by Newly Power Plant Members 1990
- Ochiai K. Hickling R. Kamal M. Dynamic Behaviour of Engine Structure Vibrations Int. Symposium ‘Engine Noise - Excitation, Vibration and Radiation’
- Albright M.F. Staffeld D.F. Noise and Vibration Refinement of the FORD 3.8L Powertrain SAE 911073
- Eichhorn U. Gaßmann S. Schönefeld U. 1989 10
- Schwārzel W. Bartsch G. 1981 9
- Krüger H. 1992 2
- Nakada T. Tonosaki H. Yamashita H. Excitation Mechanism of Half Order Engine Vibrations JSAE 49 6 1995 59 64
- Aoki H. Ishihama M. Kinoshita A. Effect of Power Plant Vibration on Sound Quality in the Passenger Compartment During Acceleration SAE 870955
- Fujita T. Onogawa K. Kawai H. Ymazaki T. Development of new approach to noise reduction through investigation of crankshaft behaviour 1992
- Schmillen K. 1993
- Katano H. Iwatono A. Saito T. Dynamic Behavior Analysis and Rumbling Noise of SI Engine Crankshaft JSAE 46 6 1992
- Nagayama l. Araki Y. Kakuta K. Usuba Y. Engine Noise Reduction by Structural Study of Cylinder Block SAE 800441
- N.N. BAS Handbook HEAD acoustic
- Huegen S. Warren G. Menne R. Wolschendorf J. Schwaderlapp M. Schoenherr C. A New 2.3L DOHC Engine with Balance Shaft Housing - Steps of Refinement and Optimization SAE 970921