This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Overview of the Experimental Approach to Statistical Energy Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) is used to predict wide-bandwidth noise and vibration. That prediction may rely on parameters derived from theory or from test, which essentially means that there are two distinct approaches, analytical SEA and test-based SEA.
The latter is the focus of this paper. Both theory and practice are reviewed, so that the current status of the method can be established. This review also provides some insight on what information can be extracted from the experiment, how the measurements must be conducted and how the results must be interpreted.
Another important aspect of test-based SEA is its interaction with the more widely used analytical SEA method. It is demonstrated that both methods are complementary and that the analytical and test-based parameters can either be compared or mixed in a “hybrid” SEA,model. Benefits of the combined use of the methods are discussed.
The discussions are supported by results obtained for automotive applications. This overview paper will provide the reader with an understanding of the method and its applications.
CitationCimerman, B., Bharj, T., and Borello, G., "Overview of the Experimental Approach to Statistical Energy Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 971968, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971968.
- Dong B. et. al. “Road Noise Modeling Using Statistical Energy Analysis” Proc. SAE N&V Conf. 1995
- Lyon R.H. DeJong R. G. “Theory and Application of Statistical Energy Analysis” Butterworth-Heinemann 1995
- AutoSEA Theory & Q.A. Manual, Vibro-Acoustic Sciences, Doc. AS-100 1991-1996
- Lalor, N. “The Experimental Determination of Vibrational Energy Balance in Complex Structures,” Paper No. 108429 Proc. SIRA Conf. on Stress and Vibration London 1989
- Lalor, N. ISVR Technical Report No182 1990
- Wu L. Agren A. “Analysis of Initial Decay Rate in Relation to Estimates of Loss Factor and Equivalent Mass in Experimental SEA” Proc. ISMA 21 Leuven, Bel. 1996
- De Langhe K. Sas P. “Statistical Analysis of the Power Injection Method” JASA 100 10 294 303 1996
- Rosen M. Borello G. “Damping and Coupling Loss Factors Estimation in SEA Method: What is Really Measured?” Proc, InterNoise 96 Liverpool, England 1996
- Bharj T. Cimerman B. “Application of Statistical Energy Analysis to a Passenger Vehicle: Combining Analytical and Test-based Prediction in a Hybrid Model” Proc. InterNoise 96 Liverpool, England 1996
- Bharj T. Pham H. “Application of Energy Flow Analysis (EFA) to Reduce Structure-borne Noise Inside a Passenger Vehicle” Proc. InterNoise 96 Liverpool, England 1996