This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Active Control of Wind Noise Using Robust Feedback Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A feedback controller bas been developed using robust control techniques to control the sound radiated from turbulent flow driven plates. The control design methodology uses frequency domain loop shaping techniques. System uncertainty, sound pressure level reductions, and actuator constraints are included in the design process. For the wind noise problem, weighting factors have been included to distinguish between the importance of modes that radiate sound and those that do not radiate. The wind noise controller has been implemented in the quiet wind tunnel facility at the Ray W. Herrick Laboratories at Purdue University. A multiple-input, multiple-output controller using accelerometer feedback and shaker control was able to achieve control up to 1000 Hz. Sound pressure level reductions of as much as 15 dB were achieved at the frequencies of the plates modes. Overall reductions over the 100-1000 Hz band were approximately 5 dB.
|Technical Paper||ACTIVE NOISE CONTROL WITH ARTIFICIAL NEURAL EXPERTS|
|Technical Paper||The Active Control of Sound in Aircraft|
|Technical Paper||Investigation and Development of Underbody Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices for Trailer Trucks|
CitationHeatwole, C., Franchek, M., and Bernhard, R., "Active Control of Wind Noise Using Robust Feedback Control," SAE Technical Paper 971891, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971891.
- Baumann, W. T. Saunders, W. R. Robertshaw, H. H. 1991 “Active Suppression of Acoustic Radiation from Impulsively Excited Structures,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am 90 6 3202 3208
- Brown, D. 1995 The Design, Construction, and Validation of a Small, Low-Speed, Quiet Wind Tunnel with Application to Noise From the Flow Over a Cavity Purdue University
- Fahy, F. 1985 Sound and Structural Vibration Radiation, Transmission and Response Academic Press Limited
- Franchek, M. 1996 “Selecting the Performance Weights for the μ and H ∞ Synthesis Methods for SISO Regulating,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 118 126 131
- Franchek, M. Jayasuriya, S. 1995 “Controller Design for Performance Guarantees in Uncertain Regulating Systems,” Int. J. Control 61 1 127 148
- Heatwole, C. M. Franchek, M. A. Bernhard, R. J. 1996 “A Robust Feedback Controller Implementation for Flow Induced Structural Radiation of Sound,” Noise-Con 96 357 362
- Thomas, D. R. Nelson, P. A. 1995 “On the Use of feedback Control of Sound Radiation From a Plate Excited by a Turbulent Boundary Layer,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 98 5 2651 2662
- Yang, X. H. van Niekerk, J. Parwani, K. S. Hendrick, K. Packard, A. Tongue, B. 1992 “Acoustical Response Tailoring in Reverberant Enclosures Using Feedback Control,” Active Control of Noise and Vibration ASME DSC-Vol 38 7 14
- Yang, X. H. van Niekerk, J. Parwani, K. S. Packard, A. Tongue, B. 1993 “Attenuation of Structurally Generated Interior Noise Through Active Control.” Proceedings of the 1993 American Control Conference 1 7