This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Oil on R-134a Condensation in Parallel Flow Condensers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports tests to determine the effect of R- l34a-oil mixtures on condensation in a 1.32 mm hydraulic diameter extruded aluminum tube used in automotive refrigerant condensers. The tests were performed at 8 kW/mz heat flux for 600, 1000, and 1800 kg/m2s mass velocity with 3.25,6, and 10% oil concentration (by mass). At low vapor qualities, oil increases the condensation coefficient (h), and at vapor qualities above 50%, oil reduces the h-value. The h-reduction is more severe at increased oil content. Oil increases the pressure gradient, and the pressure-gradient increase is more severe at higher oil concentration.
CitationZhang, M. and Webb, R., "Effect of Oil on R-134a Condensation in Parallel Flow Condensers," SAE Technical Paper 971818, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971818.
- ASHRAE 1984 ASHRAE Standard 41.4-1984 “ Standard Method for Measurement of Proportion of Oil in Liquid Refrigeration”
- Chitti, M. S. Anand, N. K. 1996 “Condensation Heat Transfer Inside Smooth Horizonal Tubes for R-22 and R-321125 Wxture” HVAC & R Research 2 79 100
- Eckels, S.J. Pate, M.B. 1991 “In-Tube Evaporation and Condensation of Refrigerant-Lubricant Mixtures of HFC- 134a and CFC-12” ASHRAE Transactions 97 2 62 71
- Eckels, S. J. Doerr, T. M. Pate, M.B. 1994 “In-Tube Heat transfer and Pressure Drop of R-134a and Ester Lubricant Mixture in a Smooth Tube and a Micro-fin Tubes: Part II - Condensation” ASHRAE Transactions 100 2 283 293
- Heun, M. K. Dunn, W. E. 1995 “Performance and Optimization of Microchannel Condensers” University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign
- Manwell, S. P. Bergles, A. E. 1990 “Gas-liquid Flow Patterns in Refrigerant-oil fixture” ASHRAE Transactions 96 2 456 464
- Schlager, L. M. Pate, M. B. Bergles, A. E. 1988 “Evaporation and Condensation of Refrigerant-Oil Mxtures in a Smooth Tube and Micro-fin Tube” ASHRAE Transactions 94 1 149 166
- Thome, J. R. 1995 “Comprehensive Thermodynamic Approach to Modeling Refrigerant-Lubricating Oil Mixtures” HVAC & R Research 1 110 125
- Webb, R. L. Yang, C-Y. 1995 “A Comparison of R-12 and R-134a Condensation inside Small Extruded Aluminum Plain and Micro-Fin Tubes” 1995 Vehicle Thermal Management Systems Conference Proceedings SAE 77 85
- Yang, C-Y. Webb, R. L. 1996 “Condensation of R-12 in Small Hydraulic Diameter Extruded Aluminum Tubes with and without Micro-fins” Int'l. Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 39 791 800
- Yang, C-Y. Webb, R. L. 1996 “Friction Pressure Drop of R- 12 in Small Hydraulic Diameter Extruded Aluminum Tubes with and without Micro-fins” Int'l. Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 39 801 809
- Zietlow, D. C. Pederson, C. 0. 1995 “Heat Transfer and Flow Characteristics of Condensing Refrigerants in Small-Channel Cross-Flow Heat Exchangers” University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign