This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of Simulation Tools with Integrated Coolant Flow Analysis for the Cooling System Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a simulation tool for the design of cooling systems. The simulation tool can consider the cooling air circuits as well as the coolant circuits. This is a development of the simulation process representing the realization of a planned step towards simulating the vehicle and its whole engine. The flow models of both the cooling air and the coolant are based on Network Flow Theory which permits the construction of complex cooling circuits. The aim of the simulation analysis, in addition to the operational reliability of the cooling system, is the energy optimization of the whole system. Using the simulation analysis, power consumption by the fans, radiator and oil pump can be minimized. At the same time the cooling system has to be designed so that the temperatures are favorable for lubricants and fuels in all driving conditions.
CitationEichlseder, W., Raab, G., Hager, J., and Raup, M., "Use of Simulation Tools with Integrated Coolant Flow Analysis for the Cooling System Design," SAE Technical Paper 971815, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971815.
- Schedwill Thermische Auslegung von Kreuzstromwärmetauschern 1968
- Truckenbrodt Lehrbuch der angewandten Fluidmechanik 1988 Berlin Springer
- Eichlseder Raab G. Rechnerische Auslegung von Kühlsystemen 1993
- Eichlseder Raab G. Hager J. Calculation and Design of Cooling Systems SAE 1993 Columbos USA
- Sakai Ishiguro S. Sudoh Y. Raab G. Hager J. The Optimum Design of Engine Cooling System by Computer Simulation SAE International Truck&Bus Meeting 1994 Seattle USA
- Eichlseder Raab G. Hager J. Raup M. Quasi-Steady Calculation of Cooling Systems with Forecast on Unsteady Calculation SAE VTMS Conference II 1995 London England
- Hager Raup M. Simulation von Fahrzeugkühlsystemen 1996
- Raab Hager J. Raup M. Dietz S. Binder W. Kühlsystementwicklung im Pkw mit Unterstützung von Simulationswerkzeugen 1996