This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Extended Life Coolants in Laboratory Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The strengths and weaknesses of engine coolants based on organic acid inhibitors are investigated. Recently, this technology has been approved for use by major OEM's. The coolants are expected to have a service life of at least 5 years/160,000 km as compared to the recommended 2 years/48,000 km for conventional silicate inhibited coolants.
Laboratory performance tests of commercially available ethylene glycol based coolants and experimental propylene glycol based coolants are presented. These include physical properties measurement, ASTM corrosion tests, compatibility of OA and silicate coolants, tests to stress coolant performance, and electrochemical tests.
CitationWeir, T., Greaney, J., and Backenstrass, F., "Comparison of Extended Life Coolants in Laboratory Testing," SAE Technical Paper 971803, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971803.
- WEIR, TW, VAN De VEN, P, “Review of Organic Acids as Inhibitors in Engine Coolants”, SAE Paper no. 960641, 1996, SAE SP1162, p 37.
- DARDEN, JW, TRIEBEL, CA, VAN NESTE, WA, MAES, JP, “Monobasic-Dibasic Acid/Salt Antifreeze Corrosion Inhibitor”, US Patent 4,647,392, assigned to Texaco Inc, Mar. 3 1987.
- ASTM D 1384-96, “Standard Test Method for Corrosion Test for Engine Coolants in Glassware”, ASTM, West Conshohocken, PA, 1996.
- ASTM D 4340-95, “Standard Test Method for Corrosion of Cast Aluminum Alloys in Engine Coolants Under Heat-Rejecting Conditions”, ASTM, West Conshohocken, PA, 1996.
- GM 6277M, “Long-life Automotive Engine Coolant Antifreeze Concentrate - Ethylene Glycol”, GM Engineering Standard, Aug. 1995.
- FLTM BL5-1, “A Rapid Method to Predict the Effectiveness of Inhibited Coolants in Aluminum Heat Exchangers”, FORD Laboratory Test Methods, Vol. 4, 1981.
- MERCER WC, “An Investigation of Carboxylic Acids as Corrosion Inhibitors in Engine Coolant”, Engine Coolant Testing Third Volume, STP 1192, ASTM, West Conshohocken, PA, 1993.