This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reformulated Diesel Fuel - Four Years Experience in Finland
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel fuel was reformulated by reducing sulfur to < 0.005 wt-%, aromatics to < 20 vol-% and by limiting heavy polyaromatics. This reduced NOx, particulate, PAH and mutagenic emissions plus exhaust odor. Oxidation catalysts operated well.
Less deposits formed in the EGR system. Fuel lubricity was enhanced by additives evaluated by injection pump tests and HFRR. Three years of field testing with 140 buses showed no fuel related problems. Oil change period could be lengthened and fuel consumption was unchanged.
Demand for reformulated fuel was triggered by differentiating taxation based on quality. Fuels have been used since 1993 without problems. Life cycle analysis showed no increase of CO2.
|Technical Paper||Testing of the Toyota Avensis DPNR at U.S. EPA-NVFEL|
|Technical Paper||Tuning and Validation of DPF for India Market|
|Book||Emissions and Air Quality|
CitationMikkonen, S., Kiiski, U., Mäkelä, M., Niemi, A. et al., "Reformulated Diesel Fuel - Four Years Experience in Finland," SAE Technical Paper 971634, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971634.
- Rantanen, L. Mikkonen, S. Nylund, L. Kociba, P. Lappi, M. Nylund, N.-O. Effect of Fuel on the Regulated, Unregulated and Mutagenic Emissions of DI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper Series 932686 Warrendale 1993 17
- Rantanen, L. Juva, A. Niemi, A. Mikkonen, S. Aakko, P. Lappi, M. Effect of Reformulated Diesel Fuel on Unregulated Emissions of Light Duty Vehicles SAE Technical Paper Series 961970 Warrendale 1996 14
- Mikkonen, S. Reformulation of diesel fuel to reduce emissions in Finnish conditions - Final report Mobile Report 107Y-10 (in Finnish, English abstract) VTT Energy Espoo, Finland 1996 21
- Mikkonen, S. Rantanen, L. Alve, V.-M. Nylund, L. Kociba, P. Korhonen, K. Lindroos, L. Effect of Diesel Fuel Composition on Fork-Lift Truck Emissions SAE Technical Paper Series 952365 Warrendale 1995 13
- Colucci, J. M. Barnes, G. J. Evaluation of Vehicle Exhaust Gas Odor Intensity Using Natural Dilution SAE Technical Paper Series 700105 Warrendale 1970 8
- Lange, W. W. Schäfer, A. Le'Jeune, A. Naber, D. Reglitzky, A. A. Gairing, M. The Influence of Fuel Properties on Exhaust Emissions from Advanced Mercedes Benz Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper Series 932685 Warrendale 1993 15
- Wall, J. C. Shimpi, S. A. Yu, M. L. Fuel Sulfur Reduction for Control of Diesel Particulate Emissions SAE Technical Paper Series 872139 Warrendale 1987 20
- Saikkonen, P. Mikkonen, S. Mäkelä, M. Niemi, A. Lubricity of Reformulated Diesel Fuel - Experience in Finland SAE Technical Paper Series 961948 Warrendale 1996 7
- Mikkonen, S. Tenhunen, E. Deposits in Diesel Fuel Injection Pumps Caused by Incompatibility of Fuel and Oil Additives SAE Technical Paper Series 872119 Warrendale 1987 9