This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Welding Residual Stresses in Splicing Heavy Section Shapes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 07, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Welding residual stress is one of the primary factors responsible for cracking at the access hole interface between the flange and web plate of welded heavy W-shapes. During multi-pass welding, cracks can be found in either the flange plate or the web plate, depending upon welding sequence, joint details and access hole size. In this study, an integrated numerical and experimental investigation was conducted to evaluate the effects of welding parameters and joint geometry on the magnitude and distribution of residual stresses in thick-section butt joints. The results provide guidelines for improved design for welding of heavy W-shapes.
|Technical Paper||The Use of the Wigner Distribution to Identify Wave-Types in Multi-Element Structures|
|Special Publication||Sheet Metal Forming|
|Technical Paper||A Study of a Metal Pushing V-Belt Type CVT-Part 2: Compression Force Between Metal Blocks and Ring Tension|
CitationFeng, Z. and Tsai, C., "Welding Residual Stresses in Splicing Heavy Section Shapes," SAE Technical Paper 971585, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971585.
- Fisher, J.W. Pense A.W. 1987 “Experience with Use of Heavy W-Shapes in Tension,” Engr. J., AISC 63
- Barsom, J.M. 1988 “Non-column Application of Wide-Flange Shapes,” Conf. Proc., Paper No. 7 National Steel Construction Conference AISC Miami, FL
- “Giant Truss for Dallas Hangar Found Cracked Before Erection,” ENR News, Construction Weekly April 14 1988 8
- Alpsten, G.A. Tall L. 1970 “Residual Stresses in Heavy Welded Shapes,” Welding Journal 49 3 93s 105s
- Blodgett, O.W. Private Communication
- “Determining Residual Stresses by the Hole-Drilling Strain Gage Method,” ASTM Standard E837-85
- Feng, Z. Wang, X. Hubbard, C.R. Spooner, S. 1996 “An FE model for residual stresses in repair welds,” Residual Stresses in Design, Fabrication, Assessment and Repair 327 119 125
- Shim, Y. Feng, Z. Lee, S. Kim, D. Tsai, C. 1991 “Determination of Residual Stresses in Thick-Section Weldments,” Welding Journal 72 9 305s 312s
- Metals Handbook ASM 1948 1976
- Tsai, C.L. Feng, Z. Shim, Y. Kim, D. Lee, S. Jaeger, J. 1992 “Finite Element Modeling of Welded Thick Plates for Bonneville Navigation Lock,” Technical Report ITL-92-2 US Army Corps of Engineers