This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Upfront Analysis Driven Design Process for Product Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the current design process, the designer generates the detailed geometry of the component based on experience. Prototypes of this design are built and tested to verify the performance. This design - build - test iterative process is continued until performance targets/criteria are met. Computer Aided Engineering is often used to verify the design.
This paper presents a new product development process to substantially reduce the number of design - analysis - build - test iterations. This Upfront Analysis Driven Design process incorporates several state of the art technologies in finite element structural analysis, optimization, and Computer Aided Design. This process ensures a near optimum design in the first design level itself.
CitationVellathottam, G., Perumalswami, P., Ilankamban, R., and Sankaranarayanan, S., "An Upfront Analysis Driven Design Process for Product Development," SAE Technical Paper 971539, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971539.
- Bendsøe, M.P. Kikuchi, N. 1988 “Generating Optimal Topologies in Structural Design Using a Homogenization Method” Computer. Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 71 197 224
- Diaz, A. Bendsoe, M. P. “Shape Optimization of Structures for Multiple loading conditions Using a Homogenization Method,” Structural Optimization 4 17 22 1992
- Yang, R. J. Chuang, C. H. 1994 “Optimal Topology Design Using Linear Programming” Computers and Structures 52 2 265 275
- Yang, R. J Chahande, A. L. 1995 “Automotive Applications of Topology Optimization,” Structural Optimization 19 3 4 245 249
- Chirehdast, M. Sankaranarayanan, S. Ambo, S.D. Johanson, R.P. 1994 “Validation of Topology Optimization for Component Design” Proceedings of the Multi disciplinary optimization conference Panama city, Florida
- Bendsøe, M.P. 1989 “Optimal Shape Design as a Material Distribution Problem” Structural Optimization 1 193 202
- Rozvany, G.I.N. Zhou, M. Birker, T. 1992 “Generalized Shape Optimization Without Homogenization,” Structural Optimization 4 250 252