This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Application of Life Cycle Analysis on the Electric Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work an LCA approach has been applied on an electric car prototype. In particular a city car was taken into account, because it presents several innovations for saving weight, in order to obtain more operating ranges.
The study has calculated the energy consumption and the emissions for the production, use and recycling phases of the following components: space-frame in aluminium and RTM, magnesium alloy seat, SMC outer body parts, glasses, motor drive and Pb-gel batteries.
The data for the Inventory were taken out from the databases for the raw materials extraction and from manufacturing sites for all the production steps. In the calculation the transports and the close-loop recycling were taken into account.
The Use-phase was calculated with a simulation software, developed by Fiat Research Center. The analysis allowed to modelize the electrical car and to evaluate the main performances in according with the city cycle ECEELECT.
At the end, the study has valuated one or more different solutions for the panel parts; different materials as SMC and aluminium were taken in consideration for the energy and emissions evaluation.
The emissions are grouped for the calculation of GWP, Nutrient Enrichment and Acidification.
CitationBalestrini, A. and Levizzari, A., "An Application of Life Cycle Analysis on the Electric Car," SAE Technical Paper 971179, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971179.
- Lave L. B. Hendrickson C. T. McMichael F.C. SCIENCE - American Association for the Advancement of Science USA May 1995
- Conte M. Vellone R. Development, perspectives and applications of electrical vehicles ATA Ingegneria Automobilistica Italy 1995
- Pasi P. Auto elettrica, un'idea a corrente alternata L'Impresa Ambiente Italy 1 95
- Jones M. R. Hybrid vehicles: the best of both worlds? Chemistry & Industry UK August 1995
- Frigerio M. Auto elettrica: quale futuro? Inquinamento Italy 1995
- Haushild M.Z. Environmental Assessment Methods LCC - Technical University of Denmark 1993
- Waltrip J.S. Magnesium casting scrap value recovery SAE Technical Paper (Series 900789 ) Detroit (USA) March 1990
- A.A. V. V. Carnegie Mellon Paper on battery pollution draws fire from EV advocates The clean fuels report USA September 1995
- Orbassano (Italy) 1995
- Sancilio C. The Italian solution to the problem of collecting and recycling spent lead acid batteries, in the aim to protect the environment Proceedings from “Recycling 95 ” Geneve (Suisse) 1995
- Schuckert M. Saur K. Florin H. Eyerer P. Beddies H. Hu J. Life Cycle Analysis: getting the total picture on vehicle engineering alternatives Automotive Engineering USA March 1996
- Yamamoto R. An introduction to LCA from the viewpoints of sustainable development and conservation of biosphere Total Life Cycle Conference of Tsukuba Japan October 1994
- SETAC Conceptual framework for Life Cycle: Impact Assessment 1993
- SETAC Guidelines for Life Cycle Assessment: a code of practice 1993