This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
LCA Study on Tires With Reduced Roll Resistance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since about 8 years the PE Product Engineering GmbH has a cooperation with the Institute for Polymer Testing and Polymer Science of the University of Stuttgart. Together they had been investigating automotive parts, structures and cars during their life cycle with many of the European automobile producers and their suppliers. Therefore energy-, raw material-, emissions-, waste-, waste water- and cost analysis have been made.
A new generation of tires will be characterized by reduced rolling resistance that results in a lower fuel consumption during the usage phase and for this reason the overall system achieve a better environmental performance.
This paper will show how Life Cycle Engineering works to meet the technical, economic and environmental requirements. This approach supports the designer of a new automotive part with the information to achieve a better environmental performance by the improvement of traditional processes as well as preventing avoidable environmental and economical burdens for new processes or new products.
In the example the environmental profiles of two different types of car tires are demonstrated over the life cycle of a car. On the one hand the tire is produced with carbon black and on the other hand the tire is a silica/silane product which has the advantage of a lower rolling resistance. Detailed results from these comparison along the whole life cycle, including the replacing of the tires every 40000 km, will be presented in this paper.
- K. Saur - PE Product Engineering GmbH and University of Stuttgart
- M. Schuckert - PE Product Engineering GmbH and University of Stuttgart
- J. Gediga - PE Product Engineering GmbH and University of Stuttgart
- H. Florin - PE Product Engineering GmbH and University of Stuttgart
- J. Hesselbach - PE Product Engineering GmbH and University of Stuttgart
CitationSaur, K., Schuckert, M., Gediga, J., Florin, H. et al., "LCA Study on Tires With Reduced Roll Resistance," SAE Technical Paper 971159, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971159.
- Schuckert, M. Life Cycle Engineering - from part to system on the example of traffic systems Institute for Polymer Testing and Polymer Science, University of Stuttgart 1996
- Eyerer, P. Life Cycle Engineering - A Tool for Planing and Working in Material Loops Springer Verlag Berlin 1996
- PE Product Engineering GmbH Life Cycle Inventory of Industrial Blacks, Silica and the Organosilane Si 69
- GaBi 2.0 - Software and Database for Life Cycle Engineering PE/IKP Dettingen/Teck 1995