This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Closed Loop Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The main result of this paper is a real-time closed loop demonstration of spark advance control by interpretation of ionization current signals. The advantages of such a system is quantified. The ionization current, obtained by using the spark plug as a sensor, is rich on information, but the signal is also complex. A key step in our method is to use parameterized functions to describe the ionization current .
The results are validated on a SAAB 2.3 1, normally aspirated, production engine, showing that the placement of the pressure trace relative to TDC is controlled using only the ionization current for feedback.
|Technical Paper||Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation|
|Technical Paper||A Method to Increase Ignition Duration and Spark Energy|
CitationEriksson, L., Nielsen, L., and Glavenius, M., "Closed Loop Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation," SAE Technical Paper 970854, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970854.
- Eriksson Lars Nielsen Lars Nytomt Jan Ignition control by ionization current interpretation SAE SP-1149 , (SAE paper No. 960045 ) 73 79 1996
- Auzins J. Johansson H. Nytomt J. Ion-gap sense in missfire detection, knock and engine control SAE SP-1082 , (SAE paper No. 950004 ) 21 28 1995
- Lee Anson Pyko Jan S. Engine misfire detection by ionization current monitoring SAE SP-1082 , (SAE paper No. 950003 ) 9 19 1995
- Collings Nick Dinsdale Steve Hands Tim Plug fouling investigations on a running engine - an application of a novel multi-purpose diagnostic system based on the spark plug SAE paper No. 912318 1991
- Saitzkoff A. Reinmann R. Berglind T. Glavmo M. An ionization equilibrium analysis of the spark plug as an ionization sensor SAE paper 1996 1996
- Hubbard M. Dobson P. D. Powell J. D. Closed loop control of spark advance using cylinder pressure sensor Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control 414 420 december 1976
- Glaser I. Powell J. D. Optimal closed-loop spark control of an automotive engine SAE paper No. 810058 11 21 1981
- Sawamoto K. Kawamura Y. Kita T. Matsushita K. Individual cylinder knock control by detecting cylinder pressure SAE paper No. 871911 1987