This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Active Vibration Control of a Thin Plate Using Piezoelectric Actuators/Sensors - Multi-Input Multi-Output Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the vibration control of a thin plate by multiple piezoelectric actuators and sensors which are co-located. To use piezoelectric materials efficiently, the Linear Quadratic Gaussian (LQG) controller is designed on the basis of a Multi-Input Multi-Output system so that each sensor monitors all the modes to be controlled and each actuator excites all the modes to be controlled. The robust LQG controller is then applied for attenuating vibration of a plate that is clamped along its edges and disturbed by a band-limited pseudo-random noise. This controller uses two sensor signal filters in order to control the first three natural modes of the plates. The results of the experiment show that the vibration of controlled modes are attenuated by 10 to 20 dB without destabilizing the other modes.
CitationSong, C., Lee, J., Hwang, J., and Choi, J., "Active Vibration Control of a Thin Plate Using Piezoelectric Actuators/Sensors - Multi-Input Multi-Output Control," SAE Technical Paper 970851, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970851.
- Cannon R. H. Jr,. Rosenthal, D. E. ‘Experiments in Control of Flexible Structures with noncollocated Sensors and Actuators,’ Journal of Guidance 7 5 546 553 1984
- Song, C. K. Han, S. W. Lee, J. M. Lee, S. W. Hwang, J. K. ‘Distributed Modal Sensitivities of Piezoelectric Materials for Active Vibration Controls,’ Proceedings of 1995 KSME, International Technical Conference Part 1 Automotive Technology San Francisco, CA Aug. 31 Sep. 4 263 276 1995
- Meirovitch, L. ‘Dynamics and Control of Structures,’ Wiley-Interscience 1990
- Hong, S. Y. ‘Active Vibration Control of Adaptive Flexible Structures Using Piezoelectric Smart Sensors and Actuator,’ The Pennsylvania State University 1992
- Tzou, H. S. Fu, H. Q. ‘A Study of Segmentation of Distributed Piezoelectric Sensor and Actuator Part II: Parametric Study and Vibration Controls,’ Journal of Sound and Vibration 172 2 261 275 1994
- Falangas, E. T. Dcoorak, J. A. Koshigoe, S. ‘Controlling Plate Vibration Using Piezoelectric Actuators,’ IEEE Control System 14 4 34 41 1994
- Sepe, R. B. ‘Robust LQG Position Control of a Flexible Structure Using Participation Factors,’ Proceeding of The 32nd conference on Decisions and Control San Antonio, Texas 1 1396 1401 1993
- Hwang, J. K. Choi, J-H. Song, C. K. Lee, J. M. ‘Identification of a Thin Plate with Bonded Piezoelectric Actuators/Sensors,’ '96 IFAC 13th World Conference San Francisco, CA June 30 July 4 95 100 1996
- Doyle, J. C. Stein, G. ‘Mutivariable Feedback Design: Concepts for a Classical/Modern Synthesis,’ IEEE Trans. Automat. contr. AC-26 1 4 16 1981
- Stein, G. Athans, M. ‘The LQG/LTR Procedure for Mutivariable Feedback Control Design,’ IEEE Trans. Automat. Contr. AC-32 4 105 114 1987
- Maciejowski, J. M. ‘Multivariable Feedback Design,’ Addison-Wesley 1989
- Johnson, D. E. ‘Introduction Filter Theory,’ Prentice-Hall Inc. 1976
- Ghausi, M. S. Laker, K. R. ‘Modern Filter Design Active RC and Switched Capacitor’ Prentice-Hall Inc. 1981