This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Air Fuel Ratio Sensor for 1997 Model Year LEV Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An exhaust air fuel ratio sensor (A/F sensor), which is applied to a 1997 model year LEV vehicle was developed. This sensor enables the detection of the exhaust gas air fuel ratio, both lean and rich of stoichiometric. This A/F sensor was developed from a lean mixture sensor, which has a proportional output to the exhaust gas air fuel ratio in the lean region only, by widening the detection range to rich air fuel ratios to 12:1. This sensor is comprised of a zirconia solid electrolyte and a platinum electrode with a ceramic coating used as a diffusion layer. As a result of improvements, it has a effective air fuel ratio range from 12 to 18 as required for LEV vehicles with model based air fuel control systems. It has a fast light off, -- within 20 seconds -- to minimize exhaust hydrocarbon content. Further, it has fast response times, less than 200 msec., to improve air fuel ratio controllability.
|Technical Paper||Development of Planar Air Fuel Ratio Sensor|
|Technical Paper||Air Fuel Ratio Sensor and Its Signal Processing Module|
|Technical Paper||Wide-Range Air-Fuel Ratio Sensor, 1989|
CitationMizusawa, K., Katoh, K., Hamaguchi, S., Hayashi, H. et al., "Development of Air Fuel Ratio Sensor for 1997 Model Year LEV Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 970843, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970843.
- Ohata A., Ohashi M., Nasu M., Inoue T., “Model Based Air Fuel Ratio Control for Reducing Exhaust Gas Emissions”, SAE paper 950075, 1995
- Nasu M., Ohata A., Abe S., “Model-Based Fuel Injection Control System for SI Engines”, SAE paper 961188, 1996
- Iwata Y., Abe. S. Nasu M., Aoki K., “Model Based Air Fuel Ratio Control with Exhaust Air Fuel Ratio Sensor & Heated Exhaust Oxygen Sensor”, FISITA International Congress, P1650, 1996
- Kamo T., Chujo Y., Akatsuka T., Nakano J., Suzuki M., “Lean Mixture Sensor”, SAE paper 850380, 1985
- Yuan D. and Kroger F.A., “Stabilized Zirconia as an Oxygen Pump”, J.Electrochem. Soc., 594, May, 1969
- Tanaka H., Nishikawa S., Suzuki S., Miki M., Harada T., Kanamaru M., Ueno S., Ichikawa N., “Wide-Range Air- Fuel Ratio Sensor”, SAE paper 890299, 1989
- Chujo Y., Aoki K., Kamo T., Ogino M., Suzuki M., Saito T., “Development of Onbourd Fast-Response Air-Fuel Ratio Meter Using Lean Mixture Sensor”, ISATA Vol. 1 89038, P459-475, 1989