This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Surface Treatments on Durability of Painted Aluminum Alloys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increasing use of aluminum in automotive components has led to lower fuel consumption and enhanced performance of automotive designs. From a manufacturing standpoint, aluminum provides the additional advantage of utilizing same processes as steel. Performance and durability of painted aluminum cars, however, is dependent on proper optimization of process conditions. As part of an extensive study of factors influencing corrosion resistance of painted aluminum, the present study deals with the influence of pretreatment and coating variables and the interaction of alloy composition with zinc phosphate and electrocoat. Interfacial analysis of corrosion products indicates the relative influence of alloying elements on stability of the metal/phosphate/electrocoat interface. As a result, guidelines and recommendations on aluminum processing in an automotive manufacturing floor have been developed.
|Technical Paper||Observations on Spot Welding Aluminum for Automotive Applications|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Plating, Brush, Zinc-Nickel Low Hydrogen Embrittlement|
|Technical Paper||Long-Life Heat Transport Loop Material Test|
CitationVega, L., Colvin, E., Moran, J., Egbert, M. et al., "Influence of Surface Treatments on Durability of Painted Aluminum Alloys," SAE Technical Paper 970731, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970731.
- Wernick S. Pinner R. Sheasby P.G. “The Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum and its Alloys” ASM Int.-Finishing Pub. Ltd. 5th Teddington, England 1990
- O'Connor J.T. Zimmerman W.D. AES Light Metals Finishing Seminar 63 105 New Jersey 1976
- Spring S. Woods K. Metal Finishing 79 6 49 55 1981
- Hyder S.B. Yep T.O. Journal of Electrochem. Soc. 123 1721 1976
- Alwitt R.S. Thompson G.E. “Aluminum Surface Treatment Technology” Electrochem. Soc. Proc. 86-11 Pennington, NJ 1986
- Rausch W. “The Phosphating of Metals” ASM Int.-Finishing Pub. Ltd. Teddington, England 1990
- Colvin E.L. Vega L.F. Nakayama T. et.al. SAE Int. Congress and Exposition Detroit Feb. 24-27 1997
- Wefers K. Aluminum 57 722 726 1981
- Orion Research Inc. Boston, MA
- Vega L.F. Fyala R.J.
- Toyose K. et.al. Kobelco Tachnology Review Japan 13 56 April 1992
- Eriksson M. “Using Phosphate Coatings to Pretreat Steel and Aluminum Sheet” The Fabricator 124 July August 1992
- DeFranco J.N. “The Filiform Corrosion of Aluminum” Alusurface '94 Amsterdam 28 September 1994
- Turuno A. Toyose K. Fujimoto H. Kobelco Technology Review Japan 11 14 June 1991
- Murtha S. et.al. IBEC Int. Body Engineering Conf. Proc. 20 Detroit October 1-3 1996