This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Testing Automotive Interior Air Filters: A Comparison of SAE and DIN Standards
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The quantification of automotive interior air filter performance can involve several laboratory tests including pressure drop, efficiency, dust holding capacity and a variety of physical properties of the filters. Since cabin air filtration is one of the fastest growing global automotive filter markets, the need for a reliable test procedure has become critical.
The SAE J1699 and DIN 71460 test procedures describe the measurement of filter performance characteristics; however, the recommended test stand design, instrumentation and challenge aerosol are not the same. This paper presents the results of an examination of the differences between both standards and their influence on measured filter performance characteristics. The accurate determination of filter performance can be achieved when the sources of test variability are controlled and minimized. The critical components that contribute to variability of both tests are identified and recommendations are made on how to control them. These recommendations should help to develop the standardization of the cabin air filter test methods.
|Technical Paper||Recent Developments in Testing the Efficiency of Automotive Cabin Air Filters|
|Technical Paper||Testing Automotive Engine and Interior Air Filters|
CitationPtak, T. and Bräunling, V., "Testing Automotive Interior Air Filters: A Comparison of SAE and DIN Standards," SAE Technical Paper 970678, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970678.
- SAE J1699 Passenger Compartment Air Filter Test Code Dec. 1994
- Air Filters for Motor Vehicle Passenger Compartments Test Procedure 1993
- Ptak T. J. Montgomery Dale “Testing Passenger Compartment Air Filters According to SAE J1699 - The Pitfalls and Sources of Variability” SAE Technical Paper 960539 1996
- Ptak T. J. “On the Fractional Efficiency of Automotive Interior Air Filters” Proc. of the American Filtration and Separation Society Chicago 1994
- Hinds W. C. Aerosol Technology John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1982
- Johnson A. M. et al. “Electric Charge Characteristics of Dry Aerosols Produced by Various Generators” Proc. of 2nd International Aerosol Conference West Berlin 1986
- Molter M. et al. “Fast, Automated Testing of Different Air Filter Media” Filtration & Separation 29 1992
- Kittelson D. B. Moon K. C. “Electrical Charge on Diesel Particles” Proc. 2nd International Aerosol Conference West Berlin 1986
- Walker M. Ptak T. J. “Particulate Filter Performance in the North American Environment” SAE Technical Paper 960940 1996
- Ptak T. J. “On Gravimetric Efficiency and Dust Holding Capacity of Cabin Air Filters” Fine Particle Society Meeting Chicago 1995
- Ptak T. J. Walker M. “Testing Automotive Engine and Interior Air Filters” SAE technical Paper 970677 1997