This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multivariable Control of Engine Idle Speed
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A multivariable Linear Quadratic Gaussian (LQG) control algorithm is developed for engine idle speed control. Difficulties posed by inherent engine non-linearity, time varying engine events and delays are considered. A non-linear engine model used to design and test the control algorithm is described. Control engineers can use the engine model and control algorithm as a basis for further work in this area. A dynamic feedforward compensation which dramatically reduces disturbance deviations is also described. Finally, the effects of typical production air-to-fuel ratio control on the idle speed control system are evaluated.
CitationMills, J., "Multivariable Control of Engine Idle Speed," SAE Technical Paper 970611, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970611.
- Abate M. Di Nunzio V. “Idle Speed Control Using Optimal Regulation” SAE Paper No. 905008 1990
- Onder C.H. Geering H.P. “Model-Based Multivariable Speed and Air-to-Fuel Ratio Control of an SI Engine” SAE Paper No. 930859 1993
- Hrovat D. Bodenheimer B. “Robust Idle Speed Control Design Based on μ-synthesis” Proceedings of the American Control Conference 1778 1783 San Francisco 1993
- Nishimura Y. Katsuyuki I. “Engine Idle Stability Analysis and Control” SAE Paper No. 860415 1986
- Dobner D.J. “A Mathematical Engine Model for Development of Dynamic Engine Control” SAE Paper No. 800054 1980
- Dobner D.J. Fruechte R.D. “An Engine Model for Dynamic Engine Control Development” Proc. of the Amer. Control Conf. 73 78 1983
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill, Inc. 1988
- Hendricks E. Jensen M. Chevalier A. Vesterholm T. “Conventional Event Based Engine Control” SAE Paper No. 940377 1994
- Hartley T.T. Beale G.O. Chicatelli S.P. Digital Simulation of Dynamic Systems Prentice Hall Inc. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1994
- Franklin G.F. Powell J.D. Workman M.L. Digital Control of Dynamic Systems 2nd Addison-Wesley Inc. Reading, Massachusetts 1990
- Van De Vegte J. Feedback Control Systems Prentice Hall International, Inc. London 1986
- Friedland B. Control System Design An Introduction to State Space Methods McGraw-Hill Inc. Singapore 1987
- Stengel R.F. Optimal Control and Estimation Dover Publications, Inc. 1994
- Boyd S. Barret C. Aling H. Xmath Control Design Module Integrated Systems Inc. California 1996
- Coats F. E. Fruechte R. D. “Dynamic Engine Models for Control Development - Part II: Application to Idle Speed Control” Int. J. of Vehicle Design UK 1984
- Hrovat D. Sun J. “Models and Control Methodologies for IC Engine Idle Speed Control Design” 13th Triennial World Congress Paper No. 8b-076 1996