This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stratified and Homogeneous Charge Operation for the Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - High Power with Low Fuel Consumption and Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes an experimental investigation to explore and optimise the performance, economy and emissions of a direct injection gasoline engine. Building on previous experimental direct injection investigations at Ricardo, a single cylinder engine has been designed to accommodate common rail electronically controlled fuel injection equipment together with appropriate port configuration and combustion chamber geometry. Experimental data is presented on the effects of chamber geometry, charge motion and fuel injection characteristics on octane requirement, lean limit, fuel consumption and exhaust emissions at typical automotive engine operating conditions. The configuration is shown to achieve stable combustion at air/fuel ratios in excess of 50:1 enabling unthrottled operation over a wide operating range. Strategies are demonstrated to control engine out emissions to levels approaching conventional port injected gasoline engines. Overall operating strategies and alternative exhaust aftertreatment approaches are demonstrated with the potential to meet future automotive emissions requirements.
CitationJackson, N., Stokes, J., Whitaker, P., and Lake, T., "Stratified and Homogeneous Charge Operation for the Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - High Power with Low Fuel Consumption and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 970543, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970543.
- Hiett G.F. Robson J.V.B. “A High Power Two-Cycle Sleeve-Valve Engine for Aircraft” Aircraft Engineering Jan Feb 1950
- Norris-Jones S. R. Russell J. T. “FM - A High Efficiency Combustion System for the Future Light Duty Engine?” SAE 820760
- Lake T. H. Christie M. J. Stokes J. Harada O. Shimotani K. “Preliminary Investigation of Solenoid Activated In-Cylinder Injection in Stoichiometric SI Engines” SAE 940483
- Kume T. Iwamoto Y. Iida K. Murakami M. Akishino K. Ando H. “Combustion Control Technologies For Direct Injection SI Engine” SAE 960600
- “Toyota Develops New D-4 Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” Asia-Pacific Automotive Report 5 September 1996 32 34
- “Fuji Heavy's Engine Technologies Displayed at Tokyo Motor Show” Asia-Pacific Automotive Report 5 December 1995 226 31 32
- Lake T. H. Sapsford S. M. Stokes J. Jackson N. S. “Simulation and Development Experience of a Stratified Charge Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” SAE 962014
- Stokes J. Hundleby G. E. Lake T. H. Christie M. J. “Development Experience of a Poppet-Valved Two-Stroke Flagship Engine” SAE 920778
- Hundleby G. E. “Internal Combustion Engines” 1991
- Hundleby G. E. “Internal Combustion Engines” 1994
- Iguchi S. Kihara T Harada J. Tanaka T. Katoh K. “NOx Storage Reduction 3-Way Catalyst for Lean Burn System” 16th International Vienna Motor Symposium 1995 2