This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new 2.0 ℓ DOHC 4-valve direct injection (DI) gasoline engine has been developed which features new technologies such as swirl intake ports to produce an optimum swirl in the cylinder by variable controlled swirl control valve, pistons with a concave combustion chamber, and high pressure fuel injection system to provide a fine fuel-air mixture cloud in the combustion chamber. These all help to control fuel-air mixture preparation and flame propagation under ultra lean, stratified combustion at partial loads. NOx emission is reduced by using an electrically controlled EGR system and an NOx storage-reduction catalyst. At higher loads, a homogeneous mixture is obtained with direct injection during the intake stroke. A seamless output torque transition between stratified charge and homogeneous charge condition is achieved by an electronic throttle control system.
It has been confirmed that a vehicle with this system successfully improves fuel economy while satisfying emission requirements.
|Technical Paper||Application of a New Combustion Concept to Direct Injection Gasoline Engine|
|Technical Paper||Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine|
CitationHarada, J., Tomita, T., Mizuno, H., Mashiki, Z. et al., "Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 970540, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970540.
- Alperstein, M. Schafer, G. Villforth, F. “Texaco's Stratified Charge Engine - Multifuel, Efficient, Clean and Practical,” SAE 740563
- Scussel, A. Simko, A. Wade, W. “The Ford PROCO Engine Update,” SAE 780699
- Schäpertöns, H. Emmenthal, K.-D. Grabe, H.-J. Oppermann, W. “VW's Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Reserch Engine,” SAE 910054
- Kume, T. Iwamoto, Y. Iida, K. Murakami, M. Akishino, K. Ando, K. “Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engine,” SAE 960600
- Fraidl, G.K. Piock, W.F. Wirth, M. “Gasoline Direct Injection: Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion Systems,” SAE 960465
- Lake, T.H. Sapsford, S.M. Stokes, J. Jackson, N.S. “Simulation and Development Experience of a Stratified Charge Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE 962014
- Matsusita, S. et al. “Effect of Helical Port with Swirl Control Valve on Combustion and Performance of S.I. Engine.” SAE 850046
- Nakanishi, K. et al. “Development of a New Intake System for a 4-valve Lean Burn Engine,” 1992
- Dodge, L.G. “Fuel Preparation Requirements for Direct-Injected Spark-Ignition Engines,” SAE 962015
- Miyoshi, N. et al. “Development of New Concept Three-Way Catalyst for Automotive Lean-Burn Engines,” SAE 950809