This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - Study of Stratified Mixture Formation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Effects of spray characteristics for stratified combustion of direct injection gasoline engine have been researched. The highly functional piezoelectric (PZT) injector was selected for this research. A hole and swirl nozzle were examined in a wide range of fuel pressure.
The hole nozzle aims to make stratified mixture formation by vaporizing fuel on the piston, and the swirl nozzle aims to do so in the air above the piston by utilizing the spray characteristic of lower penetration and higher dispersibility.
Both sprays could realize stable stratified combustion. The stability mainly depends on the combination of spray characteristic and piston cavity shape, and the swirl air motion which strength changes corresponding to engine operating conditions. The hole nozzle requires high, and the swirl nozzle less fuel pressure. Even by a large amount of EGR, stratified combustion has the advantage of combustion stability, and is useful to reduce exhaust emissions, especially NOx emissions.
CitationTomoda, T., Sasaki, S., Sawada, D., Saito, A. et al., "Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - Study of Stratified Mixture Formation," SAE Technical Paper 970539, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970539.
- Meurer J.S. Urlaub A.C. “Development and Operational Results of the Man FM Combustion System” SAE Paper 690255 1969
- Schapertons H. Emmenthal K.D. Grabe H.J. Oppermann W. “VW's Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Research Engine” SAE Paper 910054 1991
- Spiegel L. Spicher U. “Mixture Formation and Combustion in a Spark Ignition Engine with Direct Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 920521 1992
- Wakuri Y. Fujii M. Amitani T. Tsuneya R. “Studies on the Penetration of Fuel Spray in a Diesel Engine” Bull. of JSME 3 9 123 1960
- Hay N. Jones P.L. “Comparison of the Various Correlations for Spray Penetration” SAE Paper 720776 1972
- Arai M. Tabata M. Hiroyasu H. Shimizu M. “Disintegrating Process and Spray Characterization of Fuel Jet Injected by a Diesel Nozzle” SAE Paper 840275 1984
- Hiroyasu H. Kadota T. Imamoto T. “Evaporation of a Fuel Droplet at Elevated Pressures and Temperatures (Part 2)” The 48th JSME Spring Annual Meeting (in Japanese) 710-5 33 1971