This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driveline Modeling and RQV Control with Active Damping of Vehicle Shuffle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Driveline control is a challenging area. With traditional fuel metering systems, driveline oscillations may follow load disturbances or changes in accelerator position. This problem, emphasized with increased engine power, together with overall increased performance demands leads to a need for more advanced driveline control.
The main contribution of the paper is a strategy for fuel metering with active handling of driveline resonances, reducing wheel speed oscillations. Experiments and modeling using a 6x2 heavy truck lead to a linear model capturing the significant torsional resonances in the driveline. A formulation tractable for analysis, design, and implementation is developed. Field trials show that the engine can be controlled to reduce low frequency driveline oscillations, also when facing engine torque restrictions due to diesel smoke reduction. The system thus improves both performance and driveability.
CitationPettersson, M. and Nielsen, L., "Driveline Modeling and RQV Control with Active Damping of Vehicle Shuffle," SAE Technical Paper 970536, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970536.
- Bosch Automotive Handbook Robert Bosch GmbH Stuttgart, Germany 1993
- Gillespie Thomas D Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics SAE International 1992
- Maciejowski Jan Marian Multivariable Feedback Design Addison-Wesley 1959
- Mo C Y Beaumount A J Powell N N Active control of driveability SAE Paper 960046 1996
- Nwagboso C O Automotive Sensory Systems Chapman & Hall 1993
- Pettersson Magnus Driveline modeling and principles for speed control and gear-shift control 91-7871-744-2 1996
- Pettersson Magnus Nielsen Lars Sensor placement for driveline control Preprint of the IFAC-Workshop on Advances in Automotive Control , Ascona, Switzerland 1995
- Suzuki Kei Tozawa Yasushi Influence of powertrain torsional rigidity on NVH of 6x4 trucks SAE Paper 922482 1992