This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Upper-Extremity Injuries From Steering Wheel Airbag Deployments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a review of 540 crashes in which the steering-wheel airbag deployed, 38% of the drivers sustained some level of upper extremity injury. The majority of these were AIS-1 injuries including abrasions, contusions and small lacerations. In 18 crashes the drivers sustained AIS-2 or-3 level upper extremity injuries, including fractures of the radius and/or ulna, or of the metacarpal bones, all related to airbag deployments. It was determined that six drivers sustained the fracture(s) directly from the deploying airbag or the airbag module cover. The remaining 12 drivers had fractures from the extremity being flung into interior vehicle structures, usually the instrument panel. Most drivers were taller than 170 cm and, of the 18 drivers, 10 were males.
CitationHuelke, D., Gilbert, R., and Schneider, L., "Upper-Extremity Injuries From Steering Wheel Airbag Deployments," SAE Technical Paper 970493, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970493.
- Blacksin MF: Patterns of fracture after air bag deployment. J Trauma; 35:840-343, 1993
- Marco F, Garcia-Lopez A, Lopez-Duran L: Bilateral Smith fracture of the radius caused by airbag deployment. J Trauma; 40:663-664, 1996
- Smock WS, Nichols GR: Airbag module cover injuries. J Trauma. 1995; 38:489-493
- Freedman EL, Safran MR, Meals RA: Automotive airbag-related upper extremity injuries: a report of three cases. J Trauma 1995; 38:577-581
- Huelke DF: An overview of airbag deployments and related injuries. Case studies and a review of the literature. SAE Paper No. 950866. Soc of Auto Eng. Warrendale, PA. 1995
- Huelke DF, Moore JL, Compton TW, et al: Upper extremity injuries related to airbag deployments. J Trauma. 1995; 38:482-488
- Dalmatas DJ, Hurley J, German A, Digges K: Air bag deployment crashes in Canada. Presented at 15th ESV Conf. 96-Sl-O-05, Melbourne, Australia, 1996
- Huelke DF, Reed RT: Cranial-vertebral fractures and dislocations associated with steering wheel airbag deployment. 15th ESV Conf. Paper No. 96-Sl-O-01. Melbourne, Australia, 1996
- American Association for Automotive Medicine, The Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS) - 1990 Revision, Des Plaines, IL, 1990
- Huelke DF, Gilbert RJ, Reed MP, Compton CP: Facial, periorbital and ocular injuries related to steering wheel airbag deployments. Soc of Auto Eng. Warrendale, PA. 1997