This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Mechanical Valve System with Variable Lift, Duration, and Phase Using a Moving Pivot
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel mechanism using a moving rocker pivot has been developed by Motive Engineering. The chosen approach offers variation of lift, duration, and phase. A compact, robust proof-of-concept mechanism has been designed, and fabricated. It was fitted to the intake valvetrain of a production SOHC four-cylinder engine. The operation of the mechanism is described. A longer-duration, higher-lift camshaft was designed to explore the potential benefits of the concept throughout the speed and load range. Dynamometer testing has been done to explore possible benefits to power, fuel economy, and exhaust emissions.
|Technical Paper||Load Control Using Late Intake Valve Closing in a Cross Flow Cylinder Head|
|Technical Paper||An improvement Of Pumping Loss Of High Boosted Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||Intelligent Simplification-Ways Towards Improved Fuel Economy|
CitationRiley, M., McElwee, M., and Wakeman, R., "A Mechanical Valve System with Variable Lift, Duration, and Phase Using a Moving Pivot," SAE Technical Paper 970334, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970334.
- Gray, C. “A Review of Variable Engine Valve Timing,” SAE Paper 880386 1988
- Ahmad, T. Theobald, M.A. “A Survey of Variable Valve Actuation Technology,” SAE Paper 891674 1989
- Asmus, T.W. “Perspectives On Applications Of Variable Valve Timing,” SAE Paper 910445 1991
- Grohn, M. “The New Camshaft Adjustment System By Mercedes Benz - Design And Application In 4-Valve Engines,” SAE Paper 901727 1990
- Inoue, K. Nagahiro, K. Ajiki, Y. Kishi, N. “A High Power, Wide Torque Range, Efficient Engine With A Newly Developed Variable Valve Lift And Timing Mechanism,” SAE Paper 890675 1989
- Hatano, K. Iida, K. Higashi, H. Murata, S. “Development Of A New Multi-Mode Variable Valve Timing Engine,” SAE Paper 930878 1993
- Entzminger, W. “Variable Valve Actuation (VVA) Through Variable Ratio Rocker Arms,” SAE Paper 880730 1988
- Dewey, A. “Variable Lift Valve Train,” January 22 1991