This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model Based Diagnosis for the Air Intake System of the SI-Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Because of legislative regulations like OBDII, on-board diagnosis has gained much interest lately. A model based approach is suggested for the diagnosis of the air intake system of an SI-engine. Important research issues are modeling concepts, residual generation and evaluation, overall performance, and limiting factors. The diagnosis system is based on a non-linear semi-physical model and uses a combination of different residual generation methods. It is capable of detecting and isolating faults in the throttle actuator, throttle sensor, air mass now sensor and manifold pressure sensor. The scheme is experimentally validated on a real production engine.
CitationNyberg, M. and Nielsen, L., "Model Based Diagnosis for the Air Intake System of the SI-Engine," SAE Technical Paper 970209, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970209.
SAE 1997 Transactions - Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V106-2 ; Published: 1998-09-15
Number: V106-2 ; Published: 1998-09-15
- California's OBD-II regulation (section 1968.1, title 13, california code of regulations), resolution 93-40, july 9. pages 220.7 - 220.12(h), 1993.
- Unger A. and Smith K.. The OBDII system in the volvo 850 turbo. SAE Paper, (932665), 1993.
- Jurgen Ronald. Automotive Electronics Handbook. McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- Patton R., Frank P., and Clark R., editors. Fault diagnosis in Dynamic systems. Systems and Control Engineering. Prentice Hall, 1989.
- Gertler J.. Analytical redundancy methods in fault detection and isolation; survey and synthesis. IFAC Fault Detection, Supervision and Safety for Technical Processes, pages 9-21, Baden-Baden, Germany, 1991.
- Frank P.M.. Advances in observer-based fault diagnosis. Proc. TOOLDIAG'93, pages 817-836, Toulouse, France, 1993. CERT.
- Patton R.J.. Robust model-based fault diagnosis:the state of the art. IFAC Fault Detection, Supervision and Safety for Technical Processes, pages 1-24, Espoo, Finland, 1994.
- Auzins J., Johansson H., and Nytomt J.. Ion-gap sense in misfire detection, knock and engine control. SAE-Technical Paper Series, (950004), 1995.
- Gertler J. and Costin M.. Model-based diagnosis of automotive engines. IFAC Fault Detection, Supervision and Safety for Technical Processes, pages 393-402, Espoo, Finland, 1994.
- Frank P.M.. Application of fuzzy logic to process supervision and fault diagnosis. Fault Detection, Supervision and Safety for Technical Processes, pages 507-514, Espoo, Finland, 1994. IFAC.
- Chow E.Y. and Willsky A.S.. Analytical redundancy and the design of robust failure detection systems. IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, 29(7):603-614, 1984.
- Clark R.N.. The dedicated observer approach to instrument fault detection. Proc. of the 15th CDC, pages 237-241, 1979.
- White J.E. and Speyer J.L.. Detection filter design: Spectral theory and algorithms. IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, AC-32(7):593-603, 1987.
- Frank P.M. and Wünnenberg J.. Robust fault diagnosis using unknown input observer schemes, chapter 3. In Patton et al. , 1989.
- Viswanadham N., Taylor J.H., and Luce E.C.. A frequency-domain approach to failure detection and isolation with application to GE-21 turbine engine control systems. Control - Theory and advanced technology, 3(1):45-72, March 1987.
- Merrill W.C., DeLaat J.C., and Bruton W.M.. Advanced detection, isolation, and accomodation of sensor failures - real-time evaluation. AIAA J. of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 11(6):517-526, 1988.
- Gertler J.J, Costin M., Fang X., Hira R, Kowalczuk Z., and Luo Q.. Model-based on-board fault detection and diagnosis for automotive engines. IFAC Fault Detection, Supervision and Safety for Technical Processes, pages 503-508, Baden-Baden, Germany, 1991.
- Krishnaswami V., Luh G.C., and Rizzoni G.. Fault detection in IC engines using nonlinear parity equations. Proceedings of the American Control Conference, pages 2001-2005, Baltimore, Maryland, 1994.
- Shen L.C. and Hsu P.L.. Design of the robust unknown input observer for automotive engines. pages 129-134, San Francisco, USA, 1996. IFAC.
- Min P.S. and Ribbens W.B.. A vector space solution to incipient sensor failure detection with applications to automotive enviroments. IEEE trans. on Vehicular Technology, 38(3):148-158, 1989.
- Mauer G.F.. On-line performance diagnostics for internal combustion engines. Int. Conf. on Ind. Electronics, Control, Instrumentation and Automation, San Diego, 3:1460-1465, 1992.
- Riggins R.N. and Rizzoni G.. The distinction between a special class of multiplicative events and additive events: Theory and application to automotive failure diagnosis. American Control Conf., pages 2906-2911, San Diego, California, 1990.
- Hsu P.L., Lin K.L., and Shen L.C. Diagnosis of multiple sensor and actuator failures in automative engines. IEEE trans. on Vehicular Technology, 44(4):779-789, 1995.
- Cho D. and Paolella P.. Model-based failure detection and isolation of automotive powertrain systems. Proc. of ACC, pages 2898-2905, 1990.
- Paolella P. and Cho D.. A robust failure detection and isolation method for automotive power train sensors. IFAC Fault Detection, Supervision and Safety for Technical Processes, pages 509-515, Baden-Baden, Germany, 1991.
- Rizzoni G. and Hampo R.. Real time detection filters for onboard diagnosis of incipient failures. SAE Paper, (890763), 1989.
- Rizzoni G. and Min P.S.. Detection of sensor failures in automotive engines. IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, 40(2):487-500, 1991.
- Rizzoni G., Azzoni P.M., and Minelli G.. On-board diagnosis of emission control system malfunctions in electronically controlled spark ignition engines. Proc. of the American Control Conference, pages 1790-1795, 1993.
- Krishnaswami V., Chun-Luh G., and Rizzoni G.. Diagnosis of exhaust emissions control systems during the E.P.A. tailpipe inspection program. IFAC Fault Detection, Supervision and Safety for Technical Processes, pages 381-386, Espoo, Finland, 1994.
- Luh G.C. and Rizzoni G.. Identification of a non-linear mimo ic engine model during I/M240 driving cycle for on-board diagnosis. Proceedings of the American Control Conference, pages 1581-1584, Baltimore, Maryland, 1994.
- Gertler J., Costin M., Fang X., Hira R., Kowalalczuk Z., and Luo Q.. Model-based on-board fault detection and diagnosis for automotive engines. Control Engineering Practice, 1(1):3-17, 1993.
- Gertler J., Costin M., Fang X., Hira R., Kowalalczuk Z., Kunwer M., and Monajemy R.. Model based diagnosis for automotive engines - algoritm development and testing on a production vehicle. IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, 3(1):61-69, 1995.
- Hendricks E.. Mean value modelling of spark ignition engines. SAE-Technical Paper Series, (900616), 1990.
- Heywood John B.. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. McGraw-Hill series in mechanical engineering. McGraw-Hill, 1992.