This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Application of Fuzzy Logic to the Diagnosis of Automotive Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The evolution of the diagnostic equipment for automotive application is the direct effect of the implementation of sophisticated and high technology control systems in the new generation of passenger cars.
One of the most challenging issues in automotive diagnostics is the ability to assess, to analyze, and to integrate all the information and data supplied by the vehicle's on-board computer. The data available might be in the form of fault codes or sensors and actuators voltages. Moreover, as environmental regulations get more stringent, knowledge of the concentration of different species emitted from the tailpipe during the inspection and maintenance programs can become of great importance for an integrated powertrain diagnostic system.
A knowledge-based diagnostic tool is one of the approaches that can be adopted to carry out the challenging task of detecting and diagnosing faults related to the emissions control system in an automobile. In particular, the application of fuzzy logic to the diagnosis of automotive systems provides a novel approach that can integrate all of the information available about the automotive systems in a diagnostic frame.
In this paper the use of fuzzy rules generated from experimental work, and the experience of engineers and technicians in the automotive field is used to design an integrated powertrain diagnostic system. In this context, experimental results of the work done on the integration of fault codes, mathematical model-based approaches, and exhaust emission levels are provided.
CitationSoliman, A., Krishnaswami, V., and Rizzoni, G., "The Application of Fuzzy Logic to the Diagnosis of Automotive Systems," SAE Technical Paper 970208, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970208.
SAE 1997 Transactions - Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V106-2; Published: 1998-09-15
Number: V106-2; Published: 1998-09-15
- Kosko B. “Fuzzy Thinking: the new science of fuzzy logic” Hyprion, New York 1995
- Mendel J. M. “Fuzzy Logic Systems for engineers: A Tutorial” Proceedings of The IEEE 83 3 345 377 March 1995
- Soliman A. Rizzoni G. “Integrated Powertrain Diagnostic System (IPDS): Linking On- and Off-Board Diagnostic Strategies” SAE Technical Paper No. 960621 The International Congress and Exposition Feb. 1996 Detroit, MI
- Soliman A. Rizzoni G. “The effects of various engine control system malfunctions on exhaust emissions levels during the I/M 240 cycle” SAE Paper No. 940448 The International Congress and Exposition March 1-5 1994 Detroit, MI
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw Hill New York 1988
- Krishnaswami V. Luh G. C Rizzoni G. “Nonlinear Parity Equation Based Residual Generation For Diagnosis of Automotive Engine faults” Control Engineering Practice 3 10 1385 1392 May 1995
- Rizzoni G. Min P.S. “Application of Fault Detection Filters to the Diagnosis of Sensor Faults in Electronically Controlled Engines” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 40 2 487 500 1991
- Gertler J. J. Costin M. Fang Xiaowen Hira R. Kowalczuk Z Luo Qiang “Model-Based on-board Fault Detection and Diagnosis for Automotive Engines” Control Engineering Practice 3 17 February 1993
- Rizzoni G. The Ohio State Univ. Autumn 1996
- Dobner J. “An Engine Model for Dynamic Engine Control Development,” ASME Paper No. WA4-11:15 1986
- Drakunov S.V. “Sliding Mode Observer Based on Equivalent Control Method” Proceedings of 31-st CDC Dec. 16-18 Tucson, Arizona 2368 2369 1992
- Hendricks Sorenson S. C. “Mean Value Modeling of Spark Ignition Engines” SAE Technical Paper No. 890564 1989
- Hendricks Vesterholm T. Kaidantzis P Rasmussen P. Jensen M. “Nonlinear Transient Fuel Film Compensation” SAE Technical Paper No. 930767 1993
- Krishnaswami V. et al. “Application of Sliding Mode Observers to Automobile Powertrain Diagnostics” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Control Applications 355 360 Dearborn, MI 1996
- Krishnaswami V. Rizzoni G. “Nonlinear parity equation residual generation for fault detection and Isolation,” Proceedings of the IFAC/IMACS Symposium on Fault Detection, Supervision and Safety for Technical Processes 317 322 Espoo, Finland 1994
- Kandel A. “Fuzzy Expert Systems” CRC Press Inc 1992