This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Surface Modification for Improved Adhesive Bond Durability on Galvanized Steel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of adhesives for bonding thinner galvanized steel automotive body parts is increasing. Associated with the use of adhesives is adhesive bond durability. Adhesive bond durability can be improved by chemically modifying the surface of galvanized steel. Five surface modifiers, each representing a different chemical class, were found to enhance adhesive bond durability of galvanized steel to an epoxy adhesive as demonstrated by environmental unstressed and stressed adhesively bonded lap shear durability tests. The observed durability improvements are attributed to interfacial chemistry changes resulting from surface modification that occurs between the adhesive and adherend.
CitationCoduti, P. and Paratore, L., "Surface Modification for Improved Adhesive Bond Durability on Galvanized Steel," SAE Technical Paper 970151, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970151.
- Wagner D. A. Cunningham C. M. DeBolt M. A. “Weld-Bonded Joint Design: Pickup Box Case Study,” Automotive Body Design and Engineering IBES, Ltd. Publications Warren, MI 1993 123 128
- Wagner D. A. “FEA (Finite Element Analysis) Modeling for Body-in-White Adhesives,” SAE Technical Paper Series - 960784 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendate, PA 1996
- Bascom W. D. “Primers and Coupling Agents,” Engineered Materials Handbook, Vol. 3 Adhesives and Sealants ASM International Materials Park, OH 1990 254 258
- Vaideeswaran K. Bell J. P. Nikles D. E. “Polymeric Coupling Agents for Enhancing the Adhesion of Epoxy to Steel,” The Adhesion Society Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual Meeting Adhesion Society Blacksburg, VA 1995 171 172
- Boerio F. J. “Coupling Agents as Adhesion Promoters in Adhesive Bonding,” Treatise on Adhesion and Adhesives Vol. 6 Patrick R. L. Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York NY 1989 255 283
- Dickie R. A. DeBolt M. A. Ward S. M. “Stress Durability Testing of Adhesively Bonded Steel,” SAE Technical Paper Series - 950128 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1995
- Foister R. T. Schroeder K. J. “Adhesive Bonding to Galvanized Steel I. Lap Shear Strengths and Environmental Durability,” J. Adhesion 24 1987 259 278
- Foister R. T. “Adhesive Bonding to Galvanized Steel. II. Substrate Chemistry, Morphology and Bond Failure Analysis,” J. Adhesion 24 1987 279 313
- Ziane E. Beranger G. Coddet C. Charbonnier J. C. “Behavior of Adhesive Bonded Assemblies of Galvanized Steel Sheets Under Shear Loading,” Intl. J. Adhesion and Adhesives 6 1986 67 71
- Dickie R. A. DeBolt M. A. Haack L. P. DeVries J. E. “Interfacial Chemistry of Spontaneous Dis-bonding in Stress Durability Testing of Adhesively-Bonded Galvanized Steel,” J. Adhesion Sci. Technol. 8 1994 1413 1424