This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Elastokinematic Analysis and Optimization of Suspension Compliance Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Compliance elements such as bushings of a suspension system play a crucial role in determining the ride and handling characteristics of the vehicle. In this research, a general procedure for the optimum design of compliance elements to meet various design targets is proposed. Based on the assumption that the displacements of elastokinematic behavior of a suspension system under external forces are very small, linearized elastokinematic equations in terms of infinitesimal displacements and joint reaction forces are derived. Directly differentiating the linear elastokinematic equations with respect to design variables associated with bushing stiffness, sensitivity equations are obtained. The design process for determining the bushing stiffness using sensitivity analysis and optimization technique is demonstrated.
CitationKang, J., Yun, J., Lee, J., and Tak, T., "Elastokinematic Analysis and Optimization of Suspension Compliance Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 970104, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970104.
- Bundorf R.T. “The Influence of Vehicle Design Parameters on Characteristic Speed and Understeer” SAE Paper NO. 670078 1967
- Bundorf R.T. “The Cornering Compliance Concept for Description of Vehicle Directional Control Properties” SAE Paper NO. 760713 1976
- Tsukuda Y. Tsubota Y. Tonomura H. Noguchi H. “Development of a New Multi-Link Rear Suspension” SAE Paper NO. 881774 1988
- Ellis J.R. Burns S.C. Garrott W.R. Bell S.C. “The Design of a Suspension Parameter Measurement Device” SAE Paper NO. 870576 1987
- Nikravesh P.E. Srinivasan M. “Generalized Co-Ordinate Partitioning in Static Equilibrium Analysis of Large-Scale Mechanical Systems” Int. J. Numerical Eng. 21 1985
- Tachikawa K. Sakai H. “A Multi-Objective Optimization Method by Sequential Linear Programming” SAE Paper NO. 880887 1988
- Riede P.M. Leffert R.L. Cobb W.A. “Typical Vehicle Parameters for Dynamics Studies Revised for the 1980's” SAE Paper NO. 840561 1984
- Gallas G. Renzo B. “New Products Developed to Improve the Isolation Qualities of Automobile Suspension Systems: “Torsidyne” and “Atadyne”” SAE paper NO. 851651 1985
- Zdunek A.B. Bercovier M. “Numerical Evaluation of Finite Element Methods for Rubber Parts” SAE Paper NO. 860817 1986
- “Vehicle Dynamics Terminology” Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Nikravesh P.E. Computer-Aided Analysis of Mechanical Systems Prentice-Hall, Inc. 1988
- ADAMS User's Manual Mechanical Dynamics, Inc. Ann Arbor MI 1985