This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Techniques for Absolute Cylinder Pressure Correction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper addresses issues associated with the accurate determination of absolute cylinder pressure in internal combustion engines. Pressure referencing errors are shown to produce large errors in derived parameters such as polytropic index, mass fraction burned and charge temperature. Two alternative pressure correction methods, namely inlet manifold pressure and polytropic index referencing are investigated in detail. Sources of errors and algorithm improvements are investigated and discussed.
Comparison between the two pressure referencing techniques is made using measured cylinder pressure data obtained from a gasoline engine operating over a wide range of speeds and loads. The analysis shows that both of the methods should be capable of referencing typical experimental pressure data to within +-100 mbar. The work has demonstrated that accurate absolute pressure referencing can only be achieved if common pressure measurement errors are minimised.
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Burn Rate Routines and Analysis Errors|
|Technical Paper||Adaptive Estimation of Cylinder Air Mass Using the Combustion Pressure|
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Crank Angle Resolution on Cylinder Pressure Analysis|
CitationBrunt, M. and Pond, C., "Evaluation of Techniques for Absolute Cylinder Pressure Correction," SAE Technical Paper 970036, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970036.
- Brown, W.L. “Methods for Evaluating Requirements and Errors in Cylinder Pressure Measurements” SAE paper 670008 1967
- Lancaster, D.R. Krieger, R.B. Lienesch, J.H “Measurement and Analysis of Engine Pressure Data” SAE paper 750026 1975
- Kuratle, R.H. Marki, B. “Influencing Parameters and Error Sources During Induction on Internal Combustion Engines” SAE paper 920233 1992
- Randolph, A.L. “Methods of Processing Cylinder Pressure Transducer Signals to Maximize Data Accuracy” SAE paper 900170 1990
- Randolph, A.L. “Cylinder-Pressure-Based Combustion Analysis in Race Engines” SAE paper 942487 1994
- Brunt, M.F.J. Emtage, A.L. “Evaluation of IMEP Routines and Analysis Errors” SAE Paper 960609 1996
- Stein, R.A. Menck, D.Z. Warren, C.C. “Effect of Thermal Strain on Measurement of Cylinder Pressure” SAE paper 870455 1987
- Rassweiler, G.M. Withrow, L. “Motion Pictures of Engine Flames Correlated with Pressure Cards” SAE Transactions 42 1938
- AVL “Operating Instructions for AVL Indiskop 647” 1987
- Kistler Instruments “Operating Instructions for Kistler Type 5219A” 1990
- Puzinauskas, P.V. Eves, J. Tillman, N.F. “Measuring Absolute Cylinder Pressure and Pressure Drop Across Intake Valves of Firing Engines” SAE Paper 941881 1994
- Brunt, M.F.J. “The Effect of Combustion Chamber Shape on the Combustion Rate in an SI Engine” Loughborough University of Technology 1980
- Heywood, J.B. “ Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals ” McGraw - Hill Book Company 0-07-100499-8