This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Studies of Solid Film Lubricant Coated Pistons
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An investigation describing engine friction reduction benefits attainable via the introduction of Solid Film Lubricants to piston skirts is presented. Ford II-25 thermoset and II-25 waterborne molybdenum disulfide based solid film lubricants were shown through single cylinder motored engine experiments, to produce piston system friction reductions of 12 to 17% at 1500 rpm. Further tests undertaken in fired engine dynamometer studies, on a 1.91 1-4 CVH engine, demonstrated total engine friction reductions of 6% at W.O.T. conditions. The reduced engine friction resulted in lowering BSFC at 850 rpm by 3 to 4%. Tests conducted by Powertrain Operations confirmed durability. II-25 thermoset was selected for production implementation on all new Ford engines starting from model year 1995.
CitationRao, V., Kabat, D., Yeager, D., and Lizotte, B., "Engine Studies of Solid Film Lubricant Coated Pistons," SAE Technical Paper 970009, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970009.
- Rosenberg, R.C. “General Friction Considerations for Engine Design” SAE paper 821576
- Lin, S.S. Patterson, D.J. “Piston - Ring Assembly Friction Modeling by Similarity Analysis” SAE paper 930794
- Patterson, D.J. Lin, S. S. Ford funded research at U. of M. 1990-1991
- Goenka, P.K. Meernik, P.R. “Lubrication Analysis of Piston Skirts” SAE paper 920490
- Rao, V.D.N. Kabat, D.M. Yeager, D.A. “Low Friction Reciprocating Piston Assembly”
- Rao, V.D.N. Kabat, D.M. Rose, R.A. “Metal Encapsulated Solid Lubricant Coating System”
- Rao, V.D.N. Telang, Y.P. “Process for Coating the Rubbing Surfaces Of the Seal of the Gas Turbine Regenerator”
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill N.Y. 1988
- Kabat, D.M. Rao, V.D.N. “Single Cylinder Friction Measurement Engine and Initial Test Results” Ford Research Laboratory Technical Report no. 92-16
- Amann, C.A. “Engineering the Spark Ignition Engine-- The Piston Rings- Cylinder Wall Interface” SAE paper 885056
- Sibley, L..B. Wear Control Handbook ASME N.Y. 1980
- Kovach, J.T. Tsakiris Wong, L.T. “Engine Friction Reduction for Improved Fuel Economy” SAE paper no. 820085
- Bishop, I.N. “Effect of Design Variables on Friction and Economy” SAE paper 64812A