This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of Plasmaspray Coated Bore 4.6L-V8 Aluminum Block Engines in Dynamometer and Fleet Vehicle Durability Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Application process, and performance in engine dynamometer and high mileage vehicle fleet durability tests of Plasmaspray coated bore aluminum block engines are discussed. Fuel economy, oil consumption, power and wear data for Ford 4.6L-V8 aluminum block engines utilizing very low cost iron/iron oxide base coatings, and stainless steel/BN solid film lubricant Plasmasprayed coatings are presented. Test results from Ford's 100 hour Piston & Gasket Engine Dynamometer Durability Tests, and Fleet Vehicle Durability Tests show ring/bore wear reductions of more than 40% relative to production cast iron bore systems with Oil Economy averaging more than 13,600 km/l (8000 mi/qt).
CitationRao, V., Kabat, D., Rose, R., Yeager, D. et al., "Performance of Plasmaspray Coated Bore 4.6L-V8 Aluminum Block Engines in Dynamometer and Fleet Vehicle Durability Tests," SAE Technical Paper 970008, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970008.
- Rao V.D.N. Kabat D.M. Yeager D. Lizzote B. “Engine Studies of Solid Lubricant Coated Pistons” SAE Paper No. 970009
- Ford Motor Company Automotive Engine Test Manual
- Butler, J. Kornisksi, T. Colvin, A. Jary, E. “Real Time Measurements of Engine Oil Economy” SAE Paper 920655
- Colvin, A. Carduner, K. Leong, D. Ames, R. Bisell, H. “An Advanced Insturment for the Real Time Measurement of Engine Oil Economy” SAE Paper 871913
- Barbezat, G. Keller, S. Wegner, K. “Rotoplasma Applications in the Automotive Industry” 1995 9 13
- Pulsed Fluorescence So2 Analyzer Thermo Environmental Instruments Inc. Franklin, Mass
- Rao V.D.N. Kabat D.M. et al “Material Systems for Cylinder Bore Application - Plasmaspray Technology” SAE Paper 970023
- Rao V.D.N. Cikanek H.A. “1.8l Sierra - Mondeo Turbo - Diesel Valvetrain Friction Reduction Using a Solid Film Lubricant” SAE Paper 941986
- Saito K. Igashira T. Nakada M. “Analysis of Oil Consumption by Observing Behavior Around Piston Ring Using a Glass Cylinder Engine” SAE Paper 892107
- Noda T. Yamamoto M. Ohmiya Y. Kawamoto J. Nakada M. “Analysis of Oil Consumption Mechanism by Measuring Oil Ring Radial Movement SAE Paper 892104
- Karrip, K. Hamelink, J. Sealed Power Test Engineering Report No. D-1543 5 29 96
- Incometer Operators Manual PAT Equipment Corporation, Inc. Brighton, Mi