This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Category A One-Engine-Inoperative Procedures and Pilot Aids for Multi-Engine Civil Rotorcraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper summarizes the results to date of an on-going research program being conducted by NASA in conjunction with the FAA vertical flight program office. The goal of the program is to reduce pilot workload and increase safety for rotorcraft category A terminal area procedures. Two piloted simulations were conducted on the NASA Ames Vertical Motion Simulator to examine the benefits of optimal procedures, cockpit displays, and alternate cueing methods. Measures of performance, handling qualities ratings and pilot comments indicate that such enhancements can greatly assist a pilot in handling an engine failure in the terminal area.
CitationIseler, L., Chen, R., Dearing, M., Decker, W. et al., "Category A One-Engine-Inoperative Procedures and Pilot Aids for Multi-Engine Civil Rotorcraft," SAE Technical Paper 965616, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/965616.
- FAA Advisory Circular, Certification of Transport Category Rotorcraft, AC-29A, 1987.
- Zhao, Y. and Chen, R.T.N.: Critical Considerations for Helicopters During Runway Takeoffs. J. Aircraft, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp 773-781, July-August 1995.
- Zhao, Y., Jhemi, A. A., and Chen, R.T.N.: Optimal Vertical Takeoff and Landing Helicopter Operation in One Engine Failure. J. Aircraft, Vol. 33, No.2, pp 337-346, March-April 1996.
- Chen, R.T.N. and Zhao, Yiyuan: Optimal Trajectories for the Helicopter in One-Engine-Inoperative Terminal Area Opertions. NASA TM 110400, May 1996.
- Iseler, L.: Piloted Simulator Investigation of Category A Civil Rotorcraft Terminal Area Cockpit Displays. Proc. AHS Annual Forum, May 9-11, 1995.
- Danek, G.: Vertical Motion Simulator Familiarization Guide. NASA TM-103923, May 1993.
- Howlett, J.J.: UH-60A Black Hawk Engineering Simulation Program. Vol. 1, NASA CR-166309, Dec. 1981.
- Ballin, M.G.: Validation of a Real-Time Engineering Simulation of the UH-60A Helicopter. NASA TM 88360, Feb. 1987.
- Headquarters, Department of the Army: Opertor's Manual for the UH-60A and EH-60A Helicopters. TM 55-1520-23710, Jan. 1988 with changes.
- Eshow, M.M., and Schroeder, J.A.: Improvements in Hover Display Dynamics for a Combat Helicopter. Proc. AHS Annual Forum, June 1992.
- Swenson, H.N.: Computer Aiding for Low-Altitude Helicopter Flight. NASA TM-103861, May 1991.
- Bray, R. S.: A Head-Up Display Format for Application to Transport Aircraft Approach and Landing. NASA TM-81199, 1980.
- Merrick, V.K., Farris, G.G., and Vanags, A.A.: A Head Up Display for Application to V/STOL Aircraft Approach and Landing. NASA TM-102216, 1990.
- Whalley, M.S.: A Piloted Simulation Investigation of Helicopter Limit Cueing. NASA TM-108851, Oct. 1994.