This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Generic Model Concept for Optimisation in Preliminary Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The design process is an interactive feedback process where the performance of the design is compared with the performance specification. In aircraft design it is very important that the system is optimised with respect to different aspects such as performance and weight.
Traditionally, and by necessity, the design procedure has began with some kind of performance specification followed by a conceptual design, and after that the system has been optimised (usually implicitly) with respect to the performance specification. Typically, aircraft design optimisation is characterised by a multitude of objectives that can be difficult to compare to each other, such as low fuel consumption, high speed and passenger comfort. Usually this is where the engineering judgement of the designer comes in. In traditional design it is often difficult to establish what was the result of design decisions and what was the result of pure optimisation.
In the future, dramatic increases in computational performance will make simultaneous optimisation of large scale systems possible. In this paper it is also discussed how optimisation of the basic aircraft systems can be connected directly to the overall optimisation of the aircraft in the preliminary design phase, and what degree of detail and complexity that can be dealt with in the future.
CitationKrus, P., Jansson, A., Berry, P., Hansson, E. et al., "A Generic Model Concept for Optimisation in Preliminary Design," SAE Technical Paper 965519, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/965519.
- Box M. J. A new method of constrained optimization and a comparison with other methods Computer Journal 8 42 52 1965
- Goldberg D. E. Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning 1989
- Heinze W. Ein Beitrag zur quantitativen Analyse det technischen wirtschaftlichen Auslegungsgrenzen versciedener Flugzeugkonzepte für den Transport grosser Nutzlasten Technische Universitat Braunschweig Braunschweig, Germany 1994
- Jansson A. Fluid Power System Design - A Simulation Approach Linköping University S-58183 Linköping 1994
- Jansson A. Krus P. Palmberg J.-O. Complete modelling and simulation of aircraft hydraulic systems In World Aviation Congress Los Angeles, USA AIAA,SAE 1996
- Krus P. Jansson A. Palmberg J.-O. Optimization for component selection in hydraulic systems In Fourth Bath International Fluid Power Workshop' Bath, UK 1991
- Löhr F. Aircraft performance modelling for the preliminary design phase Linköping University August 1995
- Raymer D. P. Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach AIAA Education Series Delft 1992
- Torenbeek E. Synthesis of Subsonic Airplane Design Kluwer Academic Publishers Delft 1982