This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On the Determination of Cyclic Stress Strain Curve of Medium Carbon Steel by Three Different Procedures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Strain controlled tests were performed on 35 C8 steel specimens (IS 3930-1979) to determine cyclic stress-strain curve (CSSC) by Companion Specimens Test (CST), Multiple Step Test (MST) and Incremental Step Test (IST) procedures. A good agreement was found between the CSSCs obtained by CST and MST procedures. The CSSCs obtained by IST procedure using Incremental Step Loading Blocks (ISLB) of different maximum strain amplitude indicate that the parameters of CSSC depend on the maximum strain amplitude in the ISLB and resulted in a family of CSSCs. The dependence of CSSC parameters on the maximum strain amplitude in the ISLB are approximated by polynomials.
Fatigue lives estimated based on IST results for irregular strain-time histories were found to be comparable with the experimentally evaluated fatigue lives.
CitationSridhara, B., Vasudevan, P., Pankhawala, V., and Raju, S., "On the Determination of Cyclic Stress Strain Curve of Medium Carbon Steel by Three Different Procedures," SAE Technical Paper 962569, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962569.
- Sandor, B. I. “Fundamentals of Cyclic Stress and Strain” The University of Wisconsin Press Wisconsin 1972 3- 4
- Landgraf, R.W. JoDean Morrow Endo T. “Determination of Cyclic Stress-Srain Curve” Journal of Materials 4 1 1969 176 188
- Jhansale, H.R. “Low Cycle fatigue Concepts and Techniques of Engineering Components” in the proceedings of Workshop on Fracture, Fatigue and Failure Analysis National Aeronautics Laboratory Bangalore, India Feb 26-Mar 10 1979 p1 p156
- Kliman V. Bily. M. “The Influence of Mode Control, Mean Value and Frequency of Loading on the Cyclic Stress-Strain Curve” Material Science and Engineering 44 1980 73 79
- Koibuchi K. Kotani. S. “The Role of Cyclic Stress-Strain Behavior on Fatigue Damage under Varying Load” ASTM, STP 519, Cyclic Stress-Strain Behavior: Analysis, Experimentation and Failure Prediction, American Society for Testing and Materials 1973 229 245
- Lucas P. Klesnil. M. “ Cyclic Stress Strain Response And Fatigue Life of Metals in Low Amplitude Region” Material Science and Engineering 11 1973 345 356
- Klesnil M. Lucas. P. “Fatigue of Metallic Materials” Material Science Monographs-7 Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company New York 1980 12 25
- Bayerlein, M. Christ H.T. Mughrabi H. “A Critical Evaluation of the Incremental step Test” in Low Cycle Fatigue and Elasto-Plastic Behavior of Materials Rie K.T. Elsevier Applied Science Publishers Ltd. 1987 149 154
- Sundara Raman Ganesha Padmanabhan K. A. “Some Studies on Incremental Step (Fatigue) Test” Material Science and Engineering, A188 1994 141 146
- Polak P. Hajek M. “Cyclic Stress Strain Curve Evaluation by Incremental Step Test Procedure” International Journal of Fatigue 13 3 1991 216 222
- Indian Standards: IS 3930-1970 “Specifications for Flame and Induction Hardening Steels” 1979 Indian Standards Institute New Delhi, India
- Designation E606-92: “Standard Practice for Strain Controlled Fatigue Testing” 1994 Annual Book of ASTM Standards 03.01 Philadelphia 1994 522 536
- Jaske, C. E. Mindlin H. Perrin J. S. “Cyclic Stress Strain Behaviour of Two alloys at High Temperature” ASTM STP 519, Cyclic Stress-Strain Behaviour: Analysis Experimentation and Failure Prediction, American Society for Testing and Materials, Society for Testing and Materials 1973 13 27
- Baumel A. Seeger T. “Materials Data for Cyclic Loading” Material Science Monographs, 61 Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company New York 1990 1 21