This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Semi-Active Strategies for Racing Car Suspension Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Quite a lot has been written on active suspension, the topic being suitable for theoretical studies. Unfortunately only a few applications has seen the road and even less went into production; by now very few road cars equipped with a real active suspension system are available on the market, and the interest to this kind of application seems to be reduced, perhaps because of high costs and restrictive regulations applied to the race car world.
For this reason this paper presents the results of a study conducted on the vertical dynamics of a two wheel car model with a semi active suspension system, a possible alternative way to a fully active system to considerably improve suspension performance. Here the damping force of each suspension is obtained by modulating its damping factor according to opportune functions of the system state variables. This allows to reach several of the objectives achievable with a fully active suspension, without the need of a big amount of energy.
|Technical Paper||Balanced Suspension|
|Technical Paper||Static Compliance Measurement as a Method of Assessing Damage|
CitationVetturi, D., Gadola, M., Cambiaghi, D., and Manzo, L., "Semi-Active Strategies for Racing Car Suspension Control," SAE Technical Paper 962553, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962553.
- Vetturi D. Gadola M. Manzo L. Faglia R. “Genetic Algorithm for Tyre Model Identifaction in Automotive Dynamics Studies” 29th ISATA Florence, Italy June 1996
- Cambiaghi D. Gadola M. “Computer-aided racing car research and development at the University of Brescia, Italy” SAE paper n. 942507 . 1 st Motorsports Engineering Conference and Exposition, Dearborn (USA) December 1994
- Milliken W.F. Milliken D.L. “ Race Car Vehicle Dynamics ” SAE 1994
- Sharp R.S. “Vehicle Dynamics Lecture Notes” MSc lecture notes Cranfield University 1992
- Manzo L. Vetturi D. Gadola M. Cambiaghi D. “Modelling, simulation and analysis of vehicle suspension system dynamics” 29th ISATA Florence, Italy June 1996
- Gillespie T. “ Fundamentals of vehicle dynamics ” Society of Automotive Engineers 1992
- Stammers C.W. “Switchable damper for vehicles: a switching demand problem” 9 th IFTOMM Milan 1995
- Ferraresi C. Quaglia G. Sorli M. 11 th AIMETA Trento (Italy) 1992