This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Force-Based Roll Center Model for Vehicle Suspensions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the development and experimental verification of a steady-state, half-vehicle cornering model. The goal of this effort is to develop a model which retains the physical insight inherent to simple models, while providing a higher degree of accuracy.
The Force-based roll center (FBRC) model is presented as an evolution of traditional kinematic roll center (KRC) modeling. The FBRC model replaces the suspension with moveable wheel-chassis instant center pairs, and incorporates tire force/slip models. The FBRC model iteratively solves for vehicle position and loading during a steady-state cornering maneuver. Experimental verification of the FBRC vehicle model shows modeling accuracy up to tire saturation limits, which is well beyond the 0.4 g accuracy limit of KRC models.
CitationMorse, P. and Starkey, J., "A Force-Based Roll Center Model for Vehicle Suspensions," SAE Technical Paper 962536, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962536.
- Lee, Seewoo Chrstos, Jeffrey P. Guenther, Dennis A. “Modeling of Dynamic Characteristics of Tire Lateral and Longitudinal Force Responses to Dynamic Inputs,” SAE paper no. 950314
- Gim, G. Nikravesh, P.E. “An Analytical model of Pneumatic Tyres for Vehicle Dynamic Simulations. Part 2: Comprehensive Slips,” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 12 1 19 39 1991
- Sakai, Hideo “Study on Cornering Properties of Tire and Vehicle,” Tire Science and Technology 18 3 136 169 1990
- Gillespie, Thomas D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics SAE Publications Group Warrendale, PA 1992
- Dixon, J.C. “The Roll-Centre Concept in Vehicle Handling Dynamics,” Proc Instn Mech Engrs 201 D1 69 78 1987
- Smith, Carroll Tune to Win Aero Publishers, Inc. Fallbrook, CA 1978
- Milliken, William F. Milliken, Douglas L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics SAE Publications Group Warrendale, PA 1995
- Staniforth, Allen Competition Car Suspension: Design, Construction, and Tuning J.H. Haynes & Co. Ltd. Sparkford, England 1988
- Puhn, Fred How to Make Your Car Handle Price Stern Sloan, Inc. Los Angeles 1981