This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mapping Work on 2.1 Litre Petrol Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the engine mapping work carried out on a 2.1 litre carburetted petrol engine.The purpose of this work was to improve upon the emission levels of the engine to meet 1996 emission norms with sufficient margin and to achieve best fuel economy possible. This paper deals with the strategy for the selection of speed load points required for mapping depending on engine operating zones, engine base data collection, methodology followed in engine mapping, variation of engine performance and emissions with respect to air/fuel ratio and spark timing etc. Further the mass emission predictions for different strategies like leaning the air/fuel mixture, retarding the ignition timing etc. are also discussed. Recalibration of the carburettor based on the above findings, its effect on vehicle performance are dealt with. Finally, the comparison between predicted and actual mass emission figures, driveability and fuel consumption achieved along with the conclusions derived are also discussed.
- R. M. Soman - Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd., Research and Development Centre, Nashik, India
- M. G. Prakash Rao - Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd., Research and Development Centre, Nashik, India
- Gopal Munankami - Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd., Research and Development Centre, Nashik, India
- K. V. R. Babu - Automotive Research Association of India, Pune, India
- Ujjwala Thite - Automotive Research Association of India, Pune, India
- Madhuri Marathe - Automotive Research Association of India, Pune, India
CitationBabu, K., Thite, U., Marathe, M., Soman, R. et al., "Mapping Work on 2.1 Litre Petrol Engine," SAE Technical Paper 962479, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962479.
- Auiler J.E. Zbrozek J.D. Blumbery P.N. “Optimisation of Automotive Engine Calibration for Better Fuel Economy Methods and Applications” SAE paper 770076 1977
- Baker R. E. Daby E. E. “Engine Mapping Methodology” SAE paper 770077 1977
- Madhuri Marathe et. al. “Electronic Engine Management System for A Passenger Car Engine to Achieve Emission Reduction Under Indian Scenario” Published at Symposium of Indian Automotive Technology (SIAT), at ARAI Pune 1994