This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ceramic Catalytic Converters for Motorcycles and Scooters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
The feasibility of using ceramic catalytic converters to reduce HC and CO emissions from 2-stroke motorcycles and scooters was investigated by performing mass emission tests on the Indian Driving Cycle. It was found that it is possible to reduce emissions significantly by installing ceramic catalytic converters at a proper location in the exhaust pipe. A power loss requirement of <5% was also met with ceramic converters. Laboratory tests on mat durability indicated that the ceramic catalytic converter package can offer excellent mechanical durability under Indian driving conditions.
CitationReddy, K. and Duggal, S., "Ceramic Catalytic Converters for Motorcycles and Scooters," SAE Technical Paper 962472, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962472.
- Hwang K. Hsieh P. H. Wang J. Wang W. B. “Emission Control by Retrofitting Motorcycles with Catalytic Converter” SAE paper no. 931542 SETC Pisa, Italy 1993
- Reddy K. P. Scott P. L. Hwang H. S. Mooney J. J. “Durability of Ceramic Catalytic Converters for Motorcycles” SAE paper no. 951768 , SETC conference, Milwaukee, USA 1995
- Gulati S. T. “Cell Design for Ceramic Monoliths for Catalytic Converter Application” SAE paper no. 881685 1988
- Day J. P. Socha L. S. Jr. “The Design of Automotive Catalyst Supports for Improved Pressure Drop and Conversion Efficiency” SAE paper no. 910371 1991
- Socha L. S. Jr. Day J. P. Barnett E. H. ”Impact of Catalyst Support Design Parameters on FTP emissions” SAE paper no 892041 1989
- Hu Z. Heck R. M. “High Temperature Ultra Stable Close-Coupled Catalyst” SAE paper no. 950254 1995
- Reddy K. P. Gulati S. T. “Effect of Contour, Size and Cell Structure on Compressive Strength of Porous Cordierite Ceramic Substrates” SAE paper no. 932663 1993
- Gulati S. T. Scott P. L. “Design and Performance of a Ceramic Monolith Converter System for Motorcycles” SAE Paper no. 931543, SETC Conference Pisa, Italy 1993
- Locker R. J. Schad M. J. Sawyer C. B. “ Hot Vibration Durability of Ceramic Preconverters” SAE paper 952414 1995
- Reddy K. P. Helfinstine J. D. Gulati S. T. “New Tests for Characterizing the Durability of a Ceramic Converter Package” SAE Paper no. 960559 1996