This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of Child Restraint Systems in Real-Life Lateral Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Within the ISO/TC22/SC12/WG1 „Child Restraint Systems” an ad-hoc group was founded to develop a test standard for side impact protection for children in child seats. Within this task an international database of accidents with MAIS 2+ injured children has been established. This material, from 10 research institutes, compiling a total database of 139 side impacts of children from 0-12 years, has been analyzed. From this sample a selected database with 69 cases has been assembled, where cases with misuse, ejection and catastrophic intrusions have been excluded to focus on accidents with correct working restraint systems. A detailed description of the selected accidents is given.
For children sitting in a CRS, severe to critical injuries were observed mostly for head and cervical-spine, whereas 2/3- point belted children showed a higher incidence of thorax and abdominal injuries. Injury causation was analyzed in cases with forward movement of the child and compared between struck-side and non-struck side. Severe head injuries are found in connection with door, intruding object/opponent and A/B pillar contact. First results indicate that young children (0-3 years) showed an increased injury risk, therefore the development of a lateral crash standard should have priority with regard to the corresponding ECE groups 0+1 (US: infant and toddler seats).
CitationLangwieder, K., Hell, W., and Willson, H., "Performance of Child Restraint Systems in Real-Life Lateral Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 962439, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962439.
- Langwieder, K. Hell, W. Lowne, R. Huijskens, C. “Side Impact to Children in Cars. Experience from International Accident Analysis and Safety Tests.” 15th ESV-Conference Melbourne 1996
- Langwieder, K. Hummel, Th. “Children in Cars Their Injury Risk and the Influence of Child Protection Systems” Munich 12th ESV-Conference Göteborg 1989
- Langwieder, K. Hummel, Th. “Biomechanical Risk Factors for Children in Cars and Aggravation by Misuse of Restraint Systems” Munich, Germany 14th ESV-Conference Munich 1994
- Rattenbury, S.J. Gloyns, P.F. “A Population Study of UK Car Accidents in which Restrained Children were killed” Child Occupant Protection Conference San Antonio, USA 1993
- Roy, A.P. Hill, K.J. Lowne, R.W. “The Performance of Child Restraint Systems in Side Impacts” 12th ESV Conference Gothenburg, Sweden 1989
- Abbreviated Injury Scale 1990 Revision Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Des Plaines, IL 1990
- Baker, S.P. O'Neill B. Haddon, W. Long, W.B. “The Injury Severity Score: A method for describing patients with multiple injuries and evaluating emergency care.” J Trauma 14 187 196 1974
- Turbell, T. Lowne, R. Lundell, B. Tingvall, C. “ISOFIX - A New Concept of Installing Child Restraints in Cars” Joint AAAM/Stapp/IRCOBI Child Occupant Protection Symposium San Antonio November 1993
- Kelly, P. Brown, J. Griffiths, M. “Child Restraint Performance in Side-Impacts with and without top tethers and with and without Rigid Attachment (CANFIX)” IRCOBI-Conference Brunnen 1995
- Kamren, B. Kullgren A. Lie, A. Sköld, B.A. Tingvall, C. “Side Protection and Child Restraints - Accident Data and Laboratory Test Including a New Test Method” 13th ESV-Conference Paris 1991