This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Neck Injuries in the UK Co-operative Crash Injury Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study examines some of the factors associated with soft tissue neck injuries in the UK. The data were drawn from a retrospective study of vehicle crash injuries in which the overall soft tissue neck injury rate was 16%. This study shows how although it is commonly assumed that such injuries are a rear impact phenomenon, over 50% of the injuries occur in frontal crashes. In front and rear impacts, these injuries are undoubtedly associated with seat-belt use. The incidence of neck injury has been shown to double over the ten-year period of the study with the effect more prominent in females. Such injuries are also more likely to be self-reported than clinically diagnosed. Head restraints have not been found to mitigate neck injuries in either front or rear impacts at a statistically significant level. A slight but non-significant trend towards reduced neck injury rates is observed in cases of seat back yielding in a rear impact.
|Technical Paper||Mandibular and Basilar Skull Fracture Tolerance|
|Technical Paper||Cervical Facet Joint Mechanics: Its Application to Whiplash Injury|
|Technical Paper||Comparison of Occupant Restraints Based on Injury-Producing Contact Rates|
CitationMorris, A. and Thomas, P., "Neck Injuries in the UK Co-operative Crash Injury Study," SAE Technical Paper 962433, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962433.
- Spitzer, W O; Skovron, M L; Salmi, L R; Cassidy, J D; Duranceau, J; Suissa, S and Zeiss, E. ‘Scientific Monograph of the Quebec Task Force on Whiplash-Associated Disorders: Redefining ‘Whiplash’ and its Management’. In Spine Vol. 20 No. 8S, April 1995.
- Pearce, J M. ‘Whiplash Injury: A Reappraisal’. J. Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry No 52 pp 1329-31, 1989.
- Cameron, M H. ‘The Effect of Seat Belts on Minor and Severe Injuries Measured on the Abbreviated Injury Scale’. In Accident Analysis and Prevention Vol 13 No 1 pp17-28, 1981.
- Walz, F H and Muser, M H. ‘Biomechanical Aspects of Cervical Spine Injuries’. SAE Paper Number 950658, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, 1995.
- Bogduk, N. ‘The Anatomy and Pathophysiology of Whiplash’. In Clinical Biomechanics Vol 1 pp 92-101, 1986.
- Melvin, J W. ‘Human Neck Injury Tolerance’. In The Human Neck - Anatomy, Injury Mechanisms and Biomechanics, Congress and Exposition, pp 45-46, 1979.
- Rutherford, W H; Greenfield, A A and Hayes, H R M. ‘The Medical Effects of Seat Belt Legislation the UK’. Department of Health and Social Security Research Report 13, London, HMSO, 1985.
- Galasko, C S B; Murray, P M; Pitcher, M; Chambers, H; Mansfield, M; Madden, M; Jordan, C; Kinsella, A and Hodson, M. ‘Neck Sprains After Road Traffic Accidents: A Modern Epidemic’. In Injury Vol 24 no 3 pp155-157, 1993.
- Maag, U; Desjardins, D; Bourbeau, R and Laberge-Nadeau, C. ‘Seat Belts and Neck Injuries’. In Proceedings of the IRCOBI Conference, Sept12-14, Lyon, France, 1990.
- Larder, D R; Twiss, M K and Mackay, G M. ‘Neck Injury to Car Occupants Using Seat Belts’. In Proceedings of the AAAM Conference, Des Plaines, Illinois, pp153-165, 1985.
- Nygren, A; Gustafsson, H; and Tingvall, C. ‘Effects of Different Types of Head Restraints in Rear-End Collisions’. In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, Oxford, England, pp85-90, 1985.
- Olsson, I; Norin, H and Ysander, L. ‘An In-depth Study of Neck Injuries in Rear-end Collisions’. In Proceedings of the IRCOBI Conference, Sept12-14, Lyon, France, 1990.
- Svensson, M; Lovsund, P; Haland, Y and Larsson, S. ‘The Influence of Seat-Back and Head Restraint Properties on the Head-Neck Motion During rear Impact’. In Proceedings of the IRCOBI Conference, Sept 8-10, Eindhoven, Holland, 1993.
- Parkin, S; Mackay, G M and Cooper, A. ‘How Drivers Sit in Cars’. In Proceedings of the AAAM Conference, San Antonio, Texas, pp375-388, 1993.
- Viano, D C and Gargan, M F. ‘Headrest Position During Normal Driving: Implications to Neck Injury Risks in Rear Crashes’. In Proceedings of the AAAM Conference, Chicago, Illinois, pp215-229, 1995.
- Kihlberg, J K. ‘Flexion-Torsion Neck injury in Rear Impacts’. In Proceedings of the AAAM Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota,, 1969.
- Parkin, S; Mackay, G M; Hassan, A M and Graham, R. ‘Rear-End Collisions and Seat Performance - To Yield or Not To Yield’. In Proceedings of the AAAM Conference, Chicago, Illinois, pp231-244, 1995.
- V Koch, M; Kullgren, A; Lie, A; Nygren, A and Tingvall, C. ‘Soft Tissue Injury of the Cervical Spine in Rear-End and Frontal Collisions’. In Proceedings of the IRCOBI Conference, Sept 13-15, Brunnen, Switzerland, pp273-283, 1995.
- Lovsund, P; Nygren, A; Salen, B and Tingvall, C. ‘Neck Injuries in Rear-End Collisions Among Front and Rear Seat Occupants’. In Proceedings of the IRCOBI Conference, Sept 14-16, Bergisch-Gladbach, Germany, pp319-325, 1988.
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine. ‘The Abbreviated Injury Scale, 1985 Revision’. AAAM, Arlington Heights, Illinois, 1985.
- Mackay, G M; Galer, M D; Ashton, S J and Thomas, P. ‘The Methodology of In-depth Studies of Car Crashes in Britain’. SAE Paper No. 850556, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, 1985.
- Morris, A P; Thomas, P; Foret-Bruno, J-Y; Thomas, C; Otte, D; Ono, K and Brett, M. “A Review of Driver Airbag Deployments in Europe and Japan To Date”. Paper No. 96-S1-O-03 In Proceedings of the Enhanced Safety in Vehicles Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 1996.
- Krafft, M; Kullgren, A; Nygren, A; Lie, A and Tingvall, C. “Whiplash Associated Disorder-Factors Influencing the Incidence in Rear-end Collisions”. Paper No. 96-S9-O-09 In Proceedings of the Enhanced Safety in Vehicles Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 1996.