This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of Injury Mechanisms for Ankle/Foot Region in Frontal Offset Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper contains the results of 50% offset frontal collision tests which were conducted in order to analyze impact situation of ankle/foot regions during car-to-car crashes with both 50km/h running speeds. We took high-speed films of the footwell regions, and measured impact forces of Hybrid-III lower legs, three-axis accelerations of the toe-board, floor and brake pedal in the tests. In the same collision configuration, we conducted the tests under four different test conditions of driver seating situations as follows: with seatbelts + stepping on the brake pedal, with seatbelts + stepping on the accelerator pedal, without seatbelts + stepping on the brake pedal, and without seatbelts + stepping on the accelerator pedal.
In this paper, we focused on motions and impact forces of lower legs, on intrusions and movements of the floor, toe-board and pedals, and on interactions with them during crashes. The floor, toe-board and pedals were observed to not only longitudinally move or deform but also transversely and vertically, and different motions and varied forces of lower legs were obtained in each of the four test conditions. The test results indicated that it would be necessary to pay attention to the transverse and vertical motions of the occupant and the various sections of the vehicle, and to the foot positions in relation to the foot pedals and floor as well.
CitationSakurai, M., "An Analysis of Injury Mechanisms for Ankle/Foot Region in Frontal Offset Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 962429, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962429.
- Institute for Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis, “The Statistics of Traffic” based on the Statistics of Traffic Accidents by the National Police Agency, the 1994 Annual report, (1994).
- The National Police Agency and Japan Traffic Safety Association, “The Annual Statistics (Chronological Table) of Traffic Accidents,” (1987-1994).
- The Ministry of Transport (MOT) Automobile Traffic Administration, “Investigation and Analysis of Motor Vehicle Accidents for Clarification of the Relationship between Motor Vehicle Construction/Equipment and Human Injuries,” the l992 & 1993 Annual Reports, (1992, 1993).
- Sakurai, M., “Data Analysis of Frontal Car Accidents,” Journal of Japan Automobile Research Institute, 17-6,(1995-6).
- Sakurai, M., “Accident Data Analysis of Occupant Injuries in Frontal Car Collisions,” Journal of Japan Automobile Research Institute, 18-6,(1996-6).
- Institute for Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis, “Analysis of Occupant fatalities and injuries in Car Collisions”, (1994-9)
- Crandall, J. R., Klisch, S. M., Klopp, G. S., Sieveka, E., Pilkey, W. D. and Martin, P., “Research Program to Investigate Lower Extremity Injuries”, SAE Paper No. 940711, 1994.
- Morgan, R. M., Eppinger, R. H. and Hennessey, B. C., “Ankle Joint Injury Mechanism for Adults in Frontal Automotive Impact”, Proc. of 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 912902, 1991.
- Ore, L. S., Tanner, C. B. and States, J. D., “Accident Investigation and Impairment Study of Lower Extremity Injury”, SAE Paper No. 930096, 1993.
- Sakurai, M., “The Structure and Mechanism of Ankle/Foot in Relation to Lower Extremity Injuries of Front-Seat Occupants in Car Collisions,” Journal of Japan Automobile Research Institute, 17-4, (1995-4).
- Sakurai, M., “A Summary on the Ankle/Foot Injuries in Relation to Front-Seat Occupant Protections in Frontal Car Crashes,” Journal of Japan Automobile Research Institute, 17-6,(1995-6).
- Sakurai, M. and Kamimaki, H., “The Ankle Joint Injuries in Relation to Front-Seat Occupants in Frontal Car Crashes -Case Studies of the Ankle Joint Fractures-,” Journal of Japan Automobile Research Institute, 17-10, (1995-10).
- Pattimore, D., Ward, E., Thomas, P. and Bradford, M., “The Nature and Cause of Lower Limb Injuries in Car Crashes”, Proc. of 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 912901, 1991.
- Dischinger, P. C., Schmidhauser, C. B., Burgess, A. R., Ho, S. M., Cushing, B. M., O'Quinn T. D., Juliano, P. J. and Bents, F. D., “Lower Extremity Trauma in Vehicular Front-Seat Occupants: Patients Admitted to a Level 1 Trauma Center”, SAE Paper No. 940710, 1994.
- Sakurai, M., “Accident Analysis of Occupant Injuries in Frontal Collisions,” The 31st Annual Congress Proceedings, Japanese Council of Traffic Science, (1995).
- Otte, D., Rheinbaben, H. von and Zwipp, H., “Biomechanics of Injuries to the Foot and Ankle Joint of Car Drivers and Improvements for an Optimal Car Floor Development”, SAE Paper No. 922514, 1992.
- Fildes, B., Lenard, J., Lane, J., Vulcan, P. and Seyer, K., “Lower Limb Injuries to Passenger Car Occupants”, 1995 IRCOBI Conference, 1995.
- Foret-Bruno, J. Y., Coz, J. Y. Le, Thomas, C. and Brutel, G., “In Depth Analysis of Frontal Collisions as regards the Influence of Overlaps and Intrusion on Occupant Severe and Fatal Injuries”, 14th ESV Conference, 1994.
- Lestina, D. C., Kuhlmann, T. P., Keats, T. E. and Alley, R. M., “Mechanisms of Fracture in Ankle and Foot Injuries to Drivers in Motor Vehicle Crashes”, SAE Paper No. 922515, 1992.
- Begeman, P. C. and Prasad, P., “Human Ankle Impact Response in Dorsiflexion”, Proc. of 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 902308, 1990.
- Begeman, P. C., Balakrishnan, P., Levine, R. and King, A., “Dynamic Human Ankle Response to Inversion and Eversion”, SAE Paper No. 933115, 1993.
- Schueler, F., Mattern, R., Zeidler, F. and Scheunert, D., “Injuries of the Lower Legs - Foot, Ankle Joint, Tibia; Mechanisms, Tolerance Limits, Injury - Criteria Evaluation of a Recent Biomechanic Experiment-Series (Impact-Tests with a Pneumatic-Biomechanic-Impactor)”, 1995 IRCOBI Conference, 1995.
- Kuppa, S. M. and Sieveka, E. M., “Dynamic Motion of the Floor Pan and Axial Loading through the Feet in Frontal Crash Tests”, 1995 IRCOBI Conference, 1995.
- Kruger, H. J., Heuser, G., Kraemer, B. and Schmitz, A., “Foot Loads and Footwell Intrusion in an Offset Frontal Crash”, 14th ESV Conference, 1995.
- Klopp, G. S., Crandall, J. R., Sieveka, E. M. and Pilkey, W. D., “Simulation of Muscle Tensing in Pre-Impact Bracing”, 1995 IRCOBI Conference, 1995.
- Pilkey, W. D., Sieveka, E. M., Crandall, J. R. and Klopp, G., “The Influence of Foot Placement and Vehicular Intrusion on Occupant Lower Limb Injury in Full-frontal and Frontal-Offset Crashes”, 14th ESV Conference, 1994.