This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Side Impact Countermeasure Study Using A Hybrid Modeling Technique
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A modeling technique was developed to simulate the door/occupant interaction in the FMVSS 214 test. The door components, including all the panels and the side airbag, were modeled by finite elements and the Side Impact Dummy was modeled by rigid segments with finite element contact surfaces. The DYNA3D finite element code and the CAL3D lumped-mass code were coupled together such that features in each program can be utilized in this modeling approach. A numerical scheme was developed to simulate the door crush due to the barrier impact to obtain the proper door interior stiffness. Material constants for the model were derived from the available test data. The model exhibited good correlation with the barrier test data for the dummy acceleration response. Using this model, potential countermeasures, including thorax padding, an armrest design, and a side airbag, were evaluated. Simulation results suggested that a combination of a crushable armrest and a thorax airbag can reduce the Thoracic Trauma Index and the pelvis G.
CitationDeng, Y. and Tzeng, B., "Side Impact Countermeasure Study Using A Hybrid Modeling Technique," SAE Technical Paper 962413, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962413.
- NHTSA Side Impact Final Rule
- Hackney, J. R. Monk, M. W. Hollowell, W. T. Sullivan, L. K. “Results of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Thoracic Sid Impact Protection Research Program” SAE Paper 840886
- Eppinger, R. H. Marcus, J. H. Morgan, R. M. “Development of Dummy and Injury Index for NHTSA's Side Impact Protection Research Program” SAE Paper 840885
- Deng, Y.-C. Ng, P. “Simulation of Structure and Occupant Response in Side Impact” The 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings Nov. 1993
- Gruber, K. Herrmann, M. Pitzer, M. “Computer Simulation of Side Impact Using Different Mobile Barriers” Side Impact Occupant Protection Technologies 1991
- Saha, N. K. Mahadevan, S. K. Midoun, D. E. Yang, J. S. “Finite Element Structure-Dummy System Model for Side Impact Simulation” 126 19 Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Transportation Systems 1991
- Fleck, J. T. Butler, F. E. Validation of the Crash Victim Simulator 1981
- Chang, F. S. Hallquist, J. O. Lu, D. X. Shahidi, B. K. Kudelko, C. M. Tekelly, J. P. “Finite Element Analysis of Low-Density High-Hysteresis Foam Materials and the Application in the Automotive Industry” SAE Paper 940908 1994
- Hallquist, J. O. Stillman, D. W. Lin, T.-L. LS-DYNA3D User's Manual 1992
- Low, T. C. Prasad, P. “Dynamic Response and Mathematical Model of the Side Impact Dummy” Proceedings of the 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference Nov. 1990
- Olsson, J. A. Skotte, L. G. Svensson, S. E. “Air Bag System for Side Impact Protection” Proceedings of the 12th ESV Conference 1989
- Kiuchi, T. Ogata, K. Warner, C. Y. Gordon, J. J. “Airbag System for Side Impact Occupant Protection” Proceedings of the 13th ESV Conference Paris, France 1991
- Haland, Y. “Background, Description and Evaluation of a New Side Airbag System” Proceedings of the International Body Engineering Conference (IBEC) on Automotive Body Design & Engineering Detroit, Michigan 1994
- Wang, J. T. “Recent Advances in Modeling of Pyrotechnic Inflators for Inflatable Restraint Systems” Proceedings of the Symposium on Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Transportation Systems ASME Winter Annual Meeting San Francisco, California 106 13 1989