This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Cylinder Head, Valve Train, Combustion and Fuel Systems for High Power-Density Truck Diesel Engines Part One: Background, Modern Designs, Opportunities
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews the evolution of vehicular diesel engines, with particular attention to the major components affecting the power density, fuel economy and emissions, such as the cylinder head, valve train, combustion and injection systems. The operational inter-relationship between these systems is analyzed, with examples of present engines. Recent design improvements with gasoline engines are discussed, pointing-out certain aspects applicable to diesels. The paper concludes that by combining further-advanced systems with some of the best existing technologies, the next generation of “300 and 400 Series” engines intended for mid-range truck applications in Classes 4 to 6 could become a major export item.
CitationChen, S. and Regueiro, J., "Advanced Cylinder Head, Valve Train, Combustion and Fuel Systems for High Power-Density Truck Diesel Engines Part One: Background, Modern Designs, Opportunities," SAE Technical Paper 962198, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962198.
- Kurylno D. T. “Makers Invest in Future Diesel Power” Automotive News Europe 24 June 1996
- Wilkinson P. H. “Aircraft Diesels” 4 Pitman Publishing Corporation N. Y. 1940
- Shepherd H. F. “Diesel Engine Design” 4 14 John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York 1935
- Winsor R. E. VanderBok A. J. Hammer W. G. “The New Series 60 Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 870616
- Diesel Engine Catalog 24 249 Diesel Engines, Inc. 816 North La Cienaga, Blvd., Los Angeles 46, California
- Diesel Engine Catalog 28 164 Diesel Engines, Inc. 10850 Riverside Drive, North Hollywood, California, U.S.A.
- Schittler M. Bergmarnn H. Flathmarnn K. “The New Mercedes-Benz OM 904 LA Light Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine for Class 6 Trucks” SAE Technical Paper 960057
- Diesel Engine Catalog 22 238 Diesel Engines, Inc. 816 North La Cienaga Blvd, Los Angeles 46, California
- “Lectures of Mercedes-Benz; Engine Seminar '95” International Seminar on Technical Consulting Cooperation of International Combustion Engine Beijing, P.R. China June 12-15 1995 Mercedes-Benz A. G. 70322 Stuttgart, Germany
- Osenga M. “Caterpillar's New C-10 and C-12 Truck Diesels” DIESEL PROGRESS Engines and Drives May 1996 12 16
- “Touch Smart M11” Marketing brochure Cummins Engine Company Columbus, IN
- “MWM SPRINT, New High-Speed Diesel Engine Series” Marketing Brochure MWM Motores Diesel Ltda. Sao Paulo, Brazil
- “Cat 3406E Truck Engine” Marketing Brochure LECT 4051 Caterpillar Inc. January 1994
- Osenga M. “Deere Unveils New 10.5 and 12.5L Diesels” DIESEL PROGRESS Engines and Drives April 1996 24 32
- Plumb S.E. “Volvo-GM hikes Class 8 forecast” Ward's Auto World December 1993 92
- Conrad V. U. Feucht H. J. Klingman R. “Die Neuen Viervientil-Dieselmotoren von Mercedes-Benz, Konstruction und Mechanik” MTZ 54 1992 9
- Diesel Engine Catalog 3 185 191 Diesel Engines, Inc. Two West 45th St., New York
- “Electronic Unit Injection System” Marketing Brochure Lucas Automotive
- Gibson D. H. Shinogle R. D. Moncelle M.E. “Meeting the Customer's Needs-Defining the Next Generation Electronically-Controlled Unit Injector Concept for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 961285
- Hower M. J. Mueller R.A. Oehlerking D. A. Zielke M. R. “The New Navistar T 444E Direct-Injection Turbocharged Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 930269
- Chen S. K. Chen S. X. Gebert K. Modelling of Advanced Electronic-Hydraulic Fuel Injection Systems: Part I. Theory, Assumptions and Features” ASME Technical Paper 25-2 ASME ICE Fall Technical Conference 2 1995
- Chen S. K. Chen S. X. Suder T. Wong H. C. “Modelling of Advanced Electronic-Hydraulic Fuel Injection Systems: Part II. Validation and Application ASME Technical Paper 25-2 ASME ICE Fall Technical Conference 2 1995
- Regueiro J. F. Korn S. J. “Geometric Parameters of Four-Valve Cylinder Heads and Their Relationship to Combustion And Engine Full Load Performance” SAE Paper 940205
- Regueiro J. F. “Analytical Summary of 1992 Japanese Engines for the U.S. Market” August 1992
- Korn S. J. “Corporate and Competitive 4V Design Parameters and Engine Performance” November 1992
- lndra F. Griebe U D. “Developing the Opel F3 racing engine” Automotive Technology International 125 131