This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Commercial Vehicles with Intelligent Rear Axle Steering Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Rear axle steering systems electronically controlled and hydraulically actuated are discussed for commercial vehicles. With these steered axles, the major objective is to improve the manoeuvrability of these vehicles. With the aid of the steering strategy “Rear end Swing-out Compensation” it will be assured, that in two-axle, all-wheel steering trucks dangerous rear end swing-out effects, occuring primarily in low speed ranges, will not take place. In addition, it is possible to enhance the dynamic stability of two-axle trucks while braking on split adhesion road surfaces with the aid of specific control algorithms. Furthermore, the application of a rear axle steering system can suppress dangerous lateral oscillations of centre-axle trailers.
|Steer Laws for Steerable Trailer Axles to Reduce Tire Wear
|The Influence of Steered Axles on the Dynamic Stability of Heavy Vehicles
|Fuzzy-logic Controller for Automatic Forced-steering in Semi-trailers
CitationPflug, H., von Glasner, E., and Povel, R., "Commercial Vehicles with Intelligent Rear Axle Steering Systems," SAE Technical Paper 962185, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962185.
- Hata, N. Hasegawa, S. Takahashi, S. Ito, K. Fujishiro T. A Control for 4WS-Truck to Suppress Excursion of a Body Rear Overhang SAE-Paper 892521 1989
- Sato, H. Kawai, H. Isikawa, M. Iwata, H. Koike S. Development of Four-Wheel Steering System Using Yaw Rate Feedback Control SAE-Paper 911922 1991
- Pflug, H.-Ch. Germany 1986
- Riedel, A. A Model of the Real Driver for Use in Vehicle Dynamics Simulation Models XXIII. FISITA-Congress Torino, Italy 1990
- Göhring, E. von Glasner, E. C. Bremer C. The Impact of Different ABS-Philosophies on the Directional Behavior of Commercial Vehicles SAE-Paper 892500 1989
- Passenger car/trailer combinations - Lateral stability test 1992
- Göhring, E von Glasner, E. C. Pflug, H.-Ch. Povel R. Optimization of Manoeuvrability and Directional Stability of Commercial Vehicles by an Electronically Controlled All-Wheel Steering System XXV. FISITA-Congress Beijing, China 1994 SAE-Paper 945090