This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation into the Aerodynamics of the External Flow Around a Bus (Daewoo Model)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A computer code capable for handling the three-dimensional turbulent flow around the bus was designed. For this study a turbulence model namely the constant viscosity, was considered. A Finite volume technique was used in developing this code. The pressure and velocity distribution around and on the exterior surface of the bus were calculated. These data were used to calculate the drag force and drag coefficient.
One-tenth scale model for the Daewoo bus was fabricated from wood. Pressure taps distributed all over the surface of model were used to measure the pressure. By measuring the pressure the drag force and the drag coefficient were calculated.
Finally a comparison between the theoretical and experimental results was performed showing a good agreement.
CitationEl-Sayed, A. and Nassief, M., "An Investigation into the Aerodynamics of the External Flow Around a Bus (Daewoo Model)," SAE Technical Paper 962173, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962173.
- Saltzman, E J Meyer, R.R., Jr Drag Reduction Obtained by Rounding Vertical Corners on a Box-Shaped Ground Vehicles March 1974
- Muirhead, V U An Investigation of Drag Reduction for A Box- Shaped Vehicle With Various Modifications August 1981
- Peterson, R.L Drag Reduction Obtained by the Addition of a Boattail to a Box Shaped Vehicle August 1981
- Kamel A El-Ahwany A Gad N Air Flowing Around a Nasr-Bus Tapped for Cooling and Ventilation of The Rear Engine J Egyptian Society of Engineering 1978
- Götz, H Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Commerical Vehicles in Aerodynamics of Road Vechiles Hucho W H Butter Worth London 1987
- Götz, H Bus Design Features and Their Aerodynamic Effects Int Journal of Vehicle Design 229 269 1983
- Sumantran, V Hammond, D C, Jr Experimental Data For The Evaluation of Computational Models of Flow Over Automobile - Like Bluff Bodies The Fastback/Boat-Tail/Ramp Body General Motor Report GMR- 6388 1988
- Losito V De Nicola C Albertom, S Berta C Numerical and Viscous flows Around Vehicles Int Journal of Vehicle Design 429 440 1983
- Hirschel, E H Bretthauer Theoretical and Experimental Boundary-layer Studies on Car Bodies lnt Symposium Vehicle Aerodynamics Wolfsburg 1982
- Summa, J M Maskew, B Predicting Automobile Characteristics Using An Iterative Viscous/Potential Flow Technique SAE Pap 830303 Detroit 1983
- launder B E Spalding D B Mathematical Models of Turbulence Academic Press London and New York 1972
- Abdel A F El-Saved Azim Nassief M M Three-Dimensional Turbulent Flow Around Trucks Taking Into Consideration The Effect of Gaps and Add - on Devices SAE International Truck & Bus Meeting & Exposition Cobo Center (Detroit MI) October 14-16 1996
- Schlichting, H. Boundary layer Theoly 6th McGrawHill NewYork 1968
- Abdalla A.Y Abdel-Azim A.F Aly A.M. The Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Commerical Truck with Different Loading Configurations 3rd Int Conf Fluid Mechanics Cairo Egypt 1990
- Hucho, W H. Janssen, L j Emmelmann, H.J The Optimizationof Body Details-A Method for Reducing The Aerodynamic Drag of Road Vehicles SAE Pap 760185 Detroit 1976
- Holman J P Gajdn W J, Jr Experimental MethodsFor Engineers McGraw-Hill New York 1989