This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Directional Performance and Yaw Stability of Articulated Combination Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present state of knowledge on the handling behavior of truck-dolly-trailer systems is based on parametric studies made through simulation of eigne value analysis. Any convincing study using the equations to the stability boundaries have not been reported so far due to algebraic complexities. A detailed planar mathematical model for various design configurations of the tractor triaxle trailer combination, the tractor quadaxle trailer combination and the doglogger truck is developed.
Furthermore, a kinematic and dynamic analysis of log hauling combination trucks, incorporating a sliding drawbar is carried out and the governing equations for planar yaw motions are derived. Using the computer simulation model, the directional performance and yaw stability of articulated vehicles are studied through the transient and harmonic response analysis. Finally, a parameter sensitivity study is carried out for different variables involved in the computer simulation model.
|Technical Paper||Offset Compensation Algorithms for the Yaw Rate and Lateral Acceleration Sensors|
|Technical Paper||Computer Simulation of Pavement Edge Traversal|
|Technical Paper||A New Algorithm for ABS to Compensate for Road-Disturbance|
CitationEsmailzadeh, E., "Directional Performance and Yaw Stability of Articulated Combination Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 962154, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962154.
- Nalecz, A. G Genin, J. “Dynamic Stability of Heavy Articulated Vehicles” Int J.of Vehicle Design 5 4 417 426 1984
- Vlk, F. “Handling Performance of Truck-Trailer Vehicles” Int.J.of Vehicle Design 6 323 361 1985
- Dugoff, H. Murphy, R.W. “The Dynamic Performance of Articulated Highway Vehicles” SAE Technical Paper No. 710223 1971
- Schmid, I. “Engineering Approach to Truck and Tractor Train Stability” SAE Technical Paper No. 670006 1967
- Hales, F D. “The Rigid Body Dynamics of Road Vehicle-Trains” Proc. of the Fourth VSD 1st IUTAM Symposium Delft 131 151 1975
- Singh, M. “The Lateral Stability of a Simplified Truck-Trailer” University of Calgary Canada 1975
- Esmailzadeh, E. et al “Road Vehicle Dynamics of Log Hauling Combination Trucks” SAE Transactions, Journal of Commercial Vehicles , 100 453 467 1991
- Preston-Thomas, J. Wong, J.Y “The Gradability of Logging Trucks” Final Report Vehicle Systems Development Corp Ontario, Canada 1989
- Aurell, J Edlund, S. “The Influence of Steered Axles on the Dynamic Stability of Heavy Vehicles” SAE Technical Paper No 892498 1989
- Pflug, H. -C. “Lateral Dynamic Behavior of Truck-Trailer Combinations due to the Influence of the Load” Vehicle System Dynamics 15 155 175 1986
- Esmailzadeh, E. Taghirad, D. T. “Ride Comfort and Roll Characteristics of Tandem-axle Truck” SAE Technical Paper No. 952589 1995
- Ellis, J.R. “ Vehicle Handling Dynamics ” Page Bros Norwich, United Kingdom 1994
- Wong, J. Y. “ Theory of Ground Vehicles” , John Wiley and Sons New York 1993
- D'Souza, A.F Eshleman, R.L. “Maneuverability Limits and Handling Criterion of Articulated Vehicles” ASME, AMD Series 50 117 132 1982